Chapter Twenty

You stood under the cascade of warm water for what felt like forever. It felt so good on your skin, so relaxing. You used Spencer's shampoo, picking up on the light fragrance that accompanied him when you lathered it into your hair.

Stop that. Why do you care what he smells like?

You tried to let the water wash away the feelings you were having for Spencer.

You two are colleagues.

You repeated it to yourself a few more times, but discontent was flaring up inside of you. You realized that you didn't want to just be Spencer's colleague. You wanted to feel his touch on you again.

Who cares if it's just for a few days? When's the last time you let yourself enjoy being with someone else?

You thought back onto your dismal love life. A few casual relationships throughout college, one pretty serious boyfriend when you were in law school. He had hurt you, but you had hurt yourself. You knew that you shouldn't have gotten that attached to someone, especially because you had known for years that you wanted to pursue an immersive career in the FBI. Of course he didn't understand, but why would he?

You shook your head, coming back into the present moment. You finished up your shower, stepping out onto the bathroom tile and breathing the humid air in deeply. Taking the first towel, you twisted your hair up into it. You wrapped the second towel around yourself quickly, eager to escape the makeshift sauna.

Steam rolled out of the bathroom behind you as you made your way into the living room, where Spencer was reading a book on the couch. You smiled to yourself, watching him scan the pages for a few seconds before speaking up.

"Hey, I'm going to change. Can I request a blanket?"

Spencer raised his eyebrows at you. "A blanket?"

"For the couch...I'm always cold" you explained.

"Oh...I was going to suggest you sleep in the bed. It's much more comfortable, which I'm sure you'll appreciate, given all the...bruises..." Spencer trailed off in thought, no doubt conjuring up the purple and blue splotches he had seen on you earlier.

"That would be great. Thank you, Spencer." You looked into his eyes, thanking him earnestly. Spencer stood up and started to take the cushions off the couch.

"What are you doing?"

"Well, I'm giving you the bed..." Spencer began.

"Spencer, no... We're basically old pros at this after the hotel and everything." You giggled involuntary, giddy from your proposition and the medicine that was still affecting you quite strongly.

Spencer smiled but kept his eyes turned down. You went to grab the duffel bag of things that were recovered from your undercover operation, but Spencer's hand grabbed the handles right before you did. Your bumped his arm, and that same electricity you had felt before shot through you again. You swore that Spencer could feel it too from the way that he tensed up.

"Right. No bending or lifting anything." You reminded yourself aloud.

Spencer nodded in affirmation.

He stood up with the duffel bag in his hand, and you couldn't help but look deeply into his eyes. He mesmerized you. You felt as if you were in a trance as you longed to close the gap between you, still looking into each others eyes.

You knew that you probably looked crazy with your hair piled on top of your head in a towel, but you didn't care in the moment. Spencer broke his gaze, looking flushed.

"I...I will carry this into the bedroom for you...So...so you can change."

"Thank you," you practically whispered, wishing that you didn't have to move away from him. You led the way into the bedroom, Spencer following close behind with your bag. He placed it onto the bed and walked back out of the bedroom, careful not to look at you with his intense gaze.

You changed slowly, careful not to strain to much any one way. You slid your underwear and shorts on with a bit of struggle, but then realized that you were faced with putting on a shirt once more. You dug through your bag, trying to find something that was loose and wouldn't be too difficult to slip on over your head. Of course, you found nothing that fit the description. As you began shifting more clothes around in your bag to find a suitable alternative, you heard Spencer's voice on the other side of the door.

"If you need to borrow anything, you can. I have t-shirts in the second drawer from the top and sweatpants in the third..."

"Thank...thanks, Spencer." You were surprised that he had spoken up and offered to let you wear his clothes. Spencer did not strike you as the type of person that would let someone else go into his drawers or hang out in his clothes. You smiled a bit at the thought that maybe, just maybe, you were different to him.

You walked over to the chest of drawers and dutifully opened the second from the top. You picked out a grey shirt that looked exceptionally comfy and managed to gently put it on without too much effort. It was soft and worn in and smelled like Spencer. You loved it.

***

I hope you guys are still enjoying reading this story as much as I am enjoying writing it. I'm also thinking about posting another story I've been working on. It's a romance novel with some Criminal Minds-esque plot twists. Would any of you be interested in reading it? Let me know in the comments!! :)