Chapter Thirty-One

You passed your hand over your mouth, turning away from everyone, tapping on the car with your fingernails gently. Making sure nobody could hear you speak from any angle, you muttered lowly.

"Pretend like I'm not talking. He wants me to go to 14th and Samson alone."

Just like that, you pocketed your cell and set off at a brisk walk. Where was his brother at? Were they working together right now, or alone? You knew that would make a huge difference in the teams' ability to back you up without anyone getting hurt.

You rapped on the door to the house, straining to hear any signs of a person stirring. A man answered and pulled you in rapidly and roughly. You were no longer in control, at the mercy of an assassin. He led you down into a flight of dark stairs when the smell of death overwhelmed you, completely overriding your other senses for a moment.

You remained calm; The man was larger than you and was military trained. Hand to hand combat wasn't the go to...Deadly force would be the most likely way out of this situation, and you were hyper aware of that fact. You had faith in Derek and Spencer, and that they would know what to do during such a delicate situation.

When the stairs leveled into a basement, you saw a room of horrors. Torture devices everywhere, a person hanging from chains and two in a tiny metal cage. You noticed a man sitting in an office chair at a desk, and as you approached, he swiveled around.

"It's so good to see you, Agent." The man wore an eyepatch and gave you a leering glare.

"Look at her." The man leading you said. "She's the one. She does the dirty work."

You weren't following where the conversation was going, so you remained quiet, not ready to make an inference about anything yet.

The man in the chair grinned. "Sure she does. Bring her closer." He looked at you, but not carefully enough to have you believe that this was highly motivated.

"Now, you still remember the deal, right?" He said after taking his odd glance. "You get to work on the agent, but there's still more out there. They're all over the country. You have to go find our next one in a few days."

"I know, I know. But I have a feeling with her. We- We're going to have a break through this time."

The man in the chair nodded patronizingly. "Of course." Sarcasm laced his deep voice. "I'll let you get to work, I have to go work on some other things." He said before limping to a hidden door, opening it and disappearing.

The man holding you fastened your hands with a chain before walking around to face you.

"See him?" He said with a gesture to the half naked man dangling from the ceiling. He was breathing shallowly, and the signs of extreme torture were apparent. You breathed deeply, trying to stabilize yourself as flashbacks threatened to come pouring back in.

"He used to be my brother. Until he turned on me - Until he became one of you."

He spit on your face. Without outwardly showing your disgust, you simply blinked slowly.

"And what am I?" You questioned earnestly.

The man began to laugh hysterically, and that was when you heard it — The sound of a footstep on the stairs. They were waiting for noise to move in. Out of the corner of your eye, you could see Derek and Spencer appear.

"What are YOU?" He laughed. "YOU are part of the government. The government that ruined my life. Ruined everything. Brainwashed me. Made me a soldier. I-I was supposed to be a teacher. You people! You are poisoning me! Your drugs, your rhetoric! You know exactly what you are!" The man's voice began to escalate with every subsequent exclamation. He continued to scream his manifesto at you as he suspended your arms above your head and lowered another ceiling mount to dangle you by.