Chapter 7 - Still Friends?

Samantha slung her backpack over her shoulders as she exited the Science building.  She had been dreading this since yesterday.  All through class she was distracted by the scenarios that might take place after class.

She walked into the courtyard and over to the taller of all the oak trees. Next to the tree and off the sidewalk was a bench that sat looking out toward the pond in the center of the courtyard. Ducks and Geese were swimming on the surface. Occasionally one would dive toward the bottom.

Sam took off her backpack and set it on the bench. She looked around as she let out a long breath.  She sat down, took out her phone and began to text. Just after she pushed the send button, she heard a notification tone she recognized come from behind her.  As she stood to look behind her, she saw Kevin just steps away.

Putting his phone back in his pocket Kevin approached Sam. "Hey..."

"Hi." Sam said as she sat back on the bench. She then wrapped her backpack in a hug. "Thanks for coming. Kevin, ummm, I...wanted to..."

Kevin put his hand on Sam's knee and looked her in the eyes. "Sam, I've been so worried. I'm glad you called.... Listen, I didn't mean to push things the other night. It's just I...I thought it was going Ok
K...and then..."

"Yeah I know Kevin.  I'm sorry.  I thought I was ready."

Samantha let out a long sigh and looked at Kevin.

"You did nothing wrong. You see..."

"Sam, we don't have to do anything you dont want to do or feel like you're ready to do." Kevin assured her.

"Kev...I'm not sure I'm even ready to be in a relationship. I'm so fucking messed up right now.  I think I just need to figure me out before I can start to figure something like us out. Does that make sense?"

Kevin took his hand and rubbed the nap of his neck.

"Well, I'd be lying if I told you I completely understood...But, yeah Sam...it makes sense."

"I'm sorry Kevin.  I never meant to hurt you."

I'm just glad that I hadn't completely fallen for you yet." Kevin joked as he pushed Samantha wirh his shoulder. "And I do appreciate you being honest and...well yeah."

"I know this sounds terrible and cliche, but maybe we can salvage a friendship?" Sam asked sheepishly.

"Well, I think I'm going to need just a little time to adjust and get over the 'what if' of it all...ya know? I was falling for you Sam. Just give me a little space to lick my wounds."

Sam looked down at her shoes and said, "I'm sorry Kevin. I really do care about you." She then wiped off the tear that was streaming down her face. Kevin put his arm around her and sniffed back a tear himself.

"I know Sam. That's one of the things I love about you...your kind heart..." Kevin let out a long sigh.

Sam stood up and pulled Kevin up by the hands and gave him a hug. "Come on...we're gonna be late for practice...and extra laps is not especially what I wanna do on a Friday."

"Agreed... Sam?" Kevin asked as they began to jog toward the gym.

"Yeah Kev?"

"Do you have a sister that might be available?"

Sam gave Kevin a shove. "Haha... shut up!"

....................

Dana hung up her jacket and walked down the hall to Faith's office. She was to shadow Faith tonight and observe how the bar was run on a busy Friday night. Dana stepped up to the open door, raised her hand and gave it a quick knock.

"Come on in Dana." Faith said as she got up from her chair with a binder and moved to the couch. "I'd like to go over the night shift duties real quick before we go out to the bar."

Dana looked at Faith inquizatively, "Umm, how did you know it was me?" She asked.

Faith let out a chuckle and said, "Well, it's the time I asked you to come and I knew you'd be on time. So, shall we get started?"

There was a seductive and confident quality about Faith. It wasn't just her looks, but the way she carried herself. Faith was average height, about 5'7" with cascading blonde hair that fell just below her collarbone. She had piercing ice blue eyes that danced every time she smiled. She had a way of making a pair if jeans and a white button-up shirt look semi-dressy and oh...so sexy. She captured the attention of men and women alike.

Faith spent the night demonstrating the flow of things at the club. Dana was shown how to make Cahoots' signature drinks and run things behind the bar.

After the club closed, Dana and Faith closed the register and began to clean up.

"So, Dana, is there someone in your life? Faith inquired.

"Excuse me?" Dana questioned and turned to face Faith.

"Boyfriend? Girlfriend? Pet turtle?" Faith asked with her eyes dancing with the intention of teasing.

"Oh, umm, I'm not dating right now." She quiped back at Faith with an equal gesture in her smile. "And...no pets or plants. I think my plate is already full enough to be responsible for more than my education and a way to pay for it. But, that was only half of what you wanted to know...right?"

Faith stopped and faced Dana as well. She paused and smiled acknowledging Dana's question.

"Well, no. As you probably assumed since we met at Eddie's the way we did....with Michelle...that I date women. I supposed I am curious about your preference. Unless your preference is not to talk about it...?"