Chapter 23 - The Loft

Faith scurried about her loft lighting candles and making sure the ambiance was just right for her company.  For the past two days, she drilled Dana for information to determine what to make for supper, what to have to drink, and other things her special guest might enjoy. One of the things that Faith loved about Samantha, was that she wasn't "high maintenance" or spoiled in any way. She carried herself with humility, which was something of a lost art.

Faith and Michelle spent the past two years navigating through what ended with Michelle controlling, entitled, and jealous. Samantha was a breath of fresh air. Sure, she had her past, but she was easy to talk to, down to earth and fun. Faith couldn't remember the last time she and Michelle had fun or laughed together. Things with Michelle became hard work and were strained to the point where Faith would rather be at the club.

Things with Samantha were different. Faith could hardly wait to see Sam anytime or anywhere. Sam never took anything for granted and enjoyed the simple things many people didn't even noticed or stop to appreciate. Faith blushed thinking to herself. She has no idea how beautiful she is. Faith thought about the way Sam concentrated on her school work... twisting her hair around her finger and pulling it out... running her hand through her hair when frustrated... pushing her jaw forward as she typed... spinning her pen across and through her fingers as she read. Faith shook herself from her thought, noting the time. It was time to get dressed and finalize her preparations.

She told Samantha to dress casual, but that didn't mean she didn't want to make a good impression with having Sam over for the first time.

Having put on a pair of jeans she knew Sam liked, she held three shirts up to herself in the mirror. She decided on a pull-over with short sleeves and a simple lace v-neck. After tucking in her shirt, she bent slightly toward the mirror to see just enough cleavage that would capture the attention of her guest. What are you doing Faith? She thought. Her heart began to pound in her chest. She was flustered, excited and anxious all at the same time. She realized it had been forever since she felt this way. Was she? Yes. Yes she was.... She was nervous.

...............................

Samantha took one last look in the mirror. She checked her teeth, ran her finger under each eye to make sure no mascara smudged and reached for her perfume. She applied the fragrance and looked back in the mirror. She took a deep breath and let it out. "Just Breathe." She said to her reflection.

Dana watched as Samantha walked out of the bathroom... to her room... out of her room patting her pockets... back to her room... out of her room to her backpack on the couch checking the pockets... to the bathroom... out of the bathroom... Samantha then stood still with her hands on her hips, eyes looking left and brows furrowed.

"So, what time should I expect you back home?" Dana asked in her best mom voice as Sam opened the junk drawer in the entryway next to where Dana was now standing.

"I won't even be leaving if I can't find my..." Dana produced her index finger to Sam with a key ring dangling from it.

Samantha took the keys from Dana as her body sighed with relief. "Thank you. Where were..."

"In your jacket pocket, hung in the closet... where you usually keep them." Dana interrupted then winked. She then took ahold of Sam's shoulders. "Relax Sam. She's your girlfriend. You already know she likes you. Just go enjoy your night."

"Am I really ready for this?" Sam asked both Dana and herself.

Rubbing Samantha's arms Dana replied, "Yeah Sam. You're ready. You need to relax and just let go. You'll be in good hands. Faith's a sweetheart. She really really likes you. Maybe even 'lokes' you."