Chapter 40 - New Year

The days up to New Year's Eve were painfully slow. Sections of each day were spent answering questions and each taking time to deal with the information in their own way. Sam dealt with the tension pretty well having done this with Dana and Faith when they found out. However, she continued to feel exposed and broken. She was thankful for the therapy she received so far. She'd learned some techniques to help her with her flashbacks. She learned many different breathing techniques and other means of coping with her anxiety, trauma and low self-esteem. She was far from done with her process, but none the less, she was in process and no longer hiding from herself or her loved ones. It was nothing she didn't expect after her story was out.

What Sam didn't expect was the tension and quiet around Sabrina. When Bri tried to interact with anyone other than Samuel or Sandra, she was practically snubbed. Miguel slept in Stephen's room while Bri slept alone in the guest bedroom. Dana and Stephen appeared to purposely avoid the space around Sabrina other than during meals. The family usually tolerated being around her. But not anymore. Something happened. When Samantha inquired as to what happened, all she heard in response was that Bri, once again was assumptive and insulate with the information about Sam's past.

"Let's just say that your sister's a snake and she spilled her venom, but instead of poisoning everyone else, she swallowed it herself. She's getting what she deserves if you ask me." Dana answered.

"I just hope she realizes she is the one holding the anti-venom and can save herself any time." Miguel whispered under his breath.

Samantha looked at Miguel. "I'm sorry this with me is causing problems with you and Bri. I feel like this is all my fault."

Miguel sat on the couch next to Sam. He took both of her hands in his. "Sam, you are not the cause of this with Bri and me. My wife is the one who created this distance. She doesn't have to agree with things, but she can be soft and tolerant. She is narrow-minded, opinionated and harsh. This is how she is. This is how she's been. Knowing about your assault and orientation has not made her this way. It's simply a couple things for her to chew on and spit out." Miguel turned to face Sam. "You see, I'm just tired of dealing with the vomit she leaves on the floor, you know what I mean?"

Having been at the bottom of the stairs and overhearing the conversation, Sabrina made her way back to the guest room and shut the door. She picked up a magazine and sat on the chair next to the window. After wiping away the tears, she took a deep breath. She then opened the magazine and began to flip through the pages.

So, there they were on New Year's Eve: all sitting in the living room watching the ball drop. Sabrina sat alone on the loveseat while Miguel sat next to Stephen on the couch with Dana taking the other spot next to Stephen. Sam and Faith sat on the floor with their backs against the couch hand in hand as they watched the countdown continue. "Eight, seven, six..." Samuel approached his wife and offered her a hand. She stood and wrapped her arm around his waist. "Four, three, two, one..."

"Happy New Year!" they all announced in unison. Samuel pulled his wife in and gave her a kiss. Faith leaned over to Sam and gave her a quick kiss on the lips as well. "Happy New Year sweetheart."

"Mmm. Happy New Year babe."

Sabrina, looking forlorn, made eye contact with Miguel. Miguel's attention was interrupted by Stephen grabbing his face and laying a big kiss on his lips.

"Happy New Year big guy." Stephen followed.

Miguel turned back to Sabrina who, by then, had looked away and sat back on the loveseat.

Stephen turned to Dana with a "shit-eating-grin" and raised his eyebrows.

Dana placed a hand on Stephen's chest. "On no! You just had your New Year's kiss."