Chapter 44 - Before We Go

Mike waited at the back door as Dana took one last look around the front of the house making sure things were in order before locking up. The smell of alcohol, coffee and bar food lingered in the air. Keys flipped around one finger to every third or fourth step she made down the hallway. Mike held open Dana's coat as his sister had done before. Despite the tiredness, her aim was dead on. She readied herself for the cold air that was about to hit her weary body.

"All in all, a good night I'd say." Mike stated while zipping his own coat.

"Except for the false 'Michelle' alarm." Dana replied remorsefully.

"Hey! Better to be on alert than to be lax about her. As a cop, I can tell you stories of people with major boundary issues where the other party is too trusting and ended up sorry they weren't more attentive."

"This whole thing with Michelle has me wound so tight Mike. I'm just glad she didn't ruin things here for Faith."

"Me too."

Mike, then opened the door to the parking lot behind Cahoots. There, in the back sat three vehicles. Mags and Erin sat in Sam's truck while on either side of the truck sat Mag's and Mike's cars running and most likely warm inside. Mags was the first to leave, followed by Mike. Erin yawned as Dana fastened her seatbelt before heading home.

"You sure you want to come over this late?' Dana asked.

Erin scooted over to the center spot and fastened the seatbelt around her. She wrapped her arm around Dana's and lay her head on Dana's shoulder. "Uh hu. I know this wasn't much of a Valentine's Day for us, but I'd like to make you breakfast as my Valentine's gift in the morning."

Dana smiled as she set off for the apartment. It may have been a cold night, but Dana's heart glowed with warm.

"So, you're okay staying the night then?"

Erin lifted her head and gave a warm kiss upon Dana's cool cheek. "Yep. Plus, I like it when you laugh to yourself while reading the Sunday comics."

"I don't do that. Do I?"

"Yup. Then you usually tell me how much you like Family Circus. Usually we're on the phone. I think I'd like to see you read them in person this time." Erin finished as she pulled herself more into Dana's arm.

----------------------------------------------------

Faith sat in the chair next to the fireplace, the room aglow from the fire burning inside. Her cross-legged posture cradled her laptop while she typed away. The night was quiet. The only things awake at that hour were the leaves rustling in a breeze and Faith.

It had been a wonderful time with Sam. Their time was spent with no agenda at all. They took a short hike to a waterfall Mike suggested. Up in the higher elevation the snow remained on the ground blanketing the earth and trees with it's white shimmering coat. Having no melt yet, meant everything looked clean and pristine. Soon the warmer weather would come and melt the snow away creating a dirty, muddy mess until the ground warmed enough to drink it in.

The edges of the river was iced over from the shore to the point where the river's current was too stubborn to allow the cold to overtake it completely. They came to a part of the river where it disappeared after what looked like a little Icey swimming pool. The sound of the water tumbling over the edge and crashing at the bottom became so loud they could barely hear each other speak.

"It sounds like an airplane that just took off." Faith yelled.

"I wanna hike down and get a look at it. You up for that?" Sam asked.