Chapter 25 - Mascarade

Sam stood at the bar watching her girlfriend walk away from the kiss she had just given her.  She could still feel the warmth of Faith's lips on her own. Faith greeted the reporter, camera man in tow.  Faith was called by channel 4 asking to come for an interview.  As she watched the scene before her, Samantha's chest filled with pride. Faith deserved the recognition for an incredible event, as well as owning one of the best clubs in town. It wasn't until tonight that she saw how involved and well know in the community Faith was. Throughout the night, people approached her. Each person was greeted by her sincere girlfriend who appeared genuinely happy to see each person at the party. What never ceased to amaze Sam, was how humble Faith was about her accomplishments. Her eyes sparkled with admiration as she observed the reporter taking notes as she spoke with Faith. The camera man set up his equipment as the two women spoke. Just 45 minutes ago, Faith introduced the police chief to Samantha. Now, here she was, about to be interviewed on camera.

"She definitely has a face for the camera, doesn't she?" a voice came from behind her.

Sam turned to see who, besides herself, was admiring her girlfriend. Sam was met by a woman dressed in a full Victorian gown. The gown was fit with a corset cinched around the woman's waist that flowed down to a full hooped skirt draped to the floor. The woman's bosom, however, was what Samantha noticed first since it was lurking just below her chin.

Immediately, Samantha caught herself and looked up to meet the face of this woman to find it mostly hidden by a mascaraed mask. The black mask covered the woman's eyes, nose, and most of her forehead. The silken material covered the mask accented by black lace outlining the eyes. The mask was adorn with diamond-like jewels that encompassed the right eye. From the middle of the forehead came two black feathers that lay up and nearly into the woman's hair. Along the right edge of the mask came a fan-like spread of emerald feathers bleeding to black at the end of each quill.  The deep rich green highlighted the hazel green of the woman's eyes, making them appear almost magical. The woman's eyes were yet again highlighted by a smoky eye shadow, black eye liner and long lush lashes. For a moment, Sam forgot why she had turned to look at this woman in the first place. It was then, the woman motioned her head toward Faith, now behind her.

Sam cleared her throat and turned back toward the reporter preparing to go on camera with Faith.

"Umm. Yes. Yes, she does."

"Mmmm. She is definitely a beauty." the woman spoke as she placed her gloved hand on Samantha's bare arm. "It appears we both have grand taste in women. May I buy you a drink?"

"Well, I'm not really drinking this evening, but it's very kind for you to offer. Thank you."

The woman motioned Mags over to where the two women were standing. "Don't be silly. It's a party sweetheart. Let me buy you one little cocktail. What's it going to hurt?"

"Ladies?"

"Two Strawberry Martinis, will you hon?"

After paying Mags, the woman handed Sam the martini glass rimmed in sugar with a thick slice of a strawberry split by the edge of the glass.

"Thank you."

"Cheers love."

The two women stood watching as the camera man motioned to the reporter they were rolling.

The woman was right. Faith indeed, had a face for the camera. But, it was more than that. It was how she shone from the inside - out. Faith surely was a beautiful woman. But, Sam had come to know the woman under the surface, which was just as beautiful, if not more so, than the beauty outside.

Faith had such compassion for others. She was driven, but she never took advantage of a situation. Never before had Samantha encountered someone so unconditionally loving and yet so impetuous and bold at the same time.