Chapter 15 - In Cahoots

October welcomed the vibrant cardinal, yellow and orange leaves that danced amongst the trees. Faith and her managers were planning a big Halloween Bash at Cahoots. It was an annual event that Cahoots had developed a reputation for. People from miles around came in costume to drink, dance and celebrate.

Having a break from Track Meets for a bit was a relief for Samantha. She found herself distracted by school, work at the "Y" and her new-found interest in women.

Of course, only Dana knew ... and perhaps Faith...

Whenever Sam stopped by Cahoots to see Dana, she could still feel the unspoken tention with Faith. She found herself watching her. She liked the way Faith interacted with her customers. Her smile radiated through her whole body.

When she smiled, Sam noticed that her crystal blue eyes would emanate this sparkle as if they had a life of their own.

There were times that Sam felt a heat upon her. This feeling ... of being watched. And sure enough, when she looked up ... she was met by the sultry stare of Faith. For a brief moment they could see. They could feel it. That spark. The one that makes a person feel embarassed, intrigued, on fire, desired and child-like all at once. With a simple smile and a look away, Sam knew ... Faith knew.

When they spoke, there was this electricity. Sam felt her body light up. All of her senses heightened. A lump would form in her throat, her palms would sweat and her heart made its presence know within her chest.

This exchange amused Dana. It was as if she had an exclusive admission to a romantic comedy. As the potential romance unfolded, Dana of course, added the comedy.

"Is it hot in here or is it just me?"

"Huh?" Sam responded having just glanced away from a quick exchange with Faith.

"Well, The heat radiating from the sexual tention in a room with the two of you is smoking hot. I need a fan, ice, or less clothing ... and I already have shorts and a sleeveless shirt on ... I'm pretty sure Faith doesn't want this to be a nudie bar."

"Shut up." Sam whyned as she fidgeted with her hair.

Dana leaned against the bar toward her. "Listen, ask her out Sam. You know there is something there."

Oh my God, I can't do that. What if she is still with Michelle? What if she doesn't want to? What would I say? What if she is not interested? Oh my God. Where would we go? Oh shit! Where would we go? I'm not exactly 'out' ya know. What would I say? Shit! What if someone saw me ... saw us? What am I doing? What the fuck Dayne? Oh ... I can't do this. Ask her out ... fuck that! I'm just fine over here with my cherry coke admiring the view."

"OK. OK Sam. Just breathe. Obviously you're not ready for that..." Dana reassured Samantha by taking a deep breathe with her. Dana grabbed a bottle of rum and added a shot to Sam's coke.

"Here. It's all I have to calm you down since I don't have a paper bag."

"Nice!" Sam retorted looking out the tops of her eyes and giving a sideways faced emoji.

"Well...?"

"Fine!" Sam picked up her glass and took a swallow of the new concoction Dana poured.

"Better?"

Sam looked toward the ceiling in thought. She paused.

"Nope!"

"Oh ... good. Glad I could help." Dana patted Sam on her shoulder.

Changing the subject Dana asked, "You're coming to the Halloween Bash right? What are you gonna wear?"

"Well, with all the sexual tention, maybe I'll come naked."

"Hmm, Lady Godiva! Yeah! You may even win the costume contest. All you need is a horse and you're a 'shoe-in' for at least some kind of prize." Dana winked.

"Jeez! I just can't keep up with you. You're took quick witted for me."

"Ahh. Yes young grasshopper ... but you are learning. That was actually a good one about coming naked."

"Right!?"

"Hmmhmm. Stay with your training and you too shall know the ways of sarcasm and humor."

"Oh ... I shall master."

The two let out a soft laugh and clinked their glasses together. After a few seconds Sam looked in admiration at Dana.

"Dayne?"

"Yeah Sam?"

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"Pulling me out of my panic attack ... you always seem to calm me down ... thank you."

"Sure thing Sam. Besides, I think this time I was the one who got you there. Sorry."

"I really am glad I have you. I think you're pretty OK." Sam said looking at her glass on the bar.

"I think you're pretty OK too Sam."

Just then, a noise was heard behind Sam. A sound she heard many times. Partly because this person never changed their ring tone.

"Well, if I had known two of the best looking girls on campus were working and hanging out here, I may have come past Eddie's before today." the voice said, putting their phone on the bar next to Samantha. "I didn't know you worked here Dana?"

Dana placed a napkin next to the phone. "Yep. Bout a month now. It's Happy Hour ... Still drinking the same?"

Looking stupefied and amused, the voice said, "Yes please?"

Sam took another long gulp of her drink, looked up from the bar and saw those sweet hazel eyes, sandy brown hair and those familiar arms.

"Sam. I haven't seen you since..."

"Yeah, umm, Track ... Nice to be on a little break though ... How are you?"

Dana set two Vodka Collins down. Lifting one of the glasses in front of their lips, shaking their head and smiling, the voice said, "Can't believe you remembered." Next, the voice said, "I'm good. Yeah. Actually I am good. How are you Sam? We haven't talked much since that day. We've seen each other ... but haven't talked really huh?"

Sam played with the napkin under her glass. The guilt crept to the edge of her eyes, threatening to spill over.

"Come on ... let's go to a booth and talk. I think I'm ready for that friendship now." the voice said while placing an empty glass on the bar and picking not only their second glass up, but Sam's drink as well. "Good to see you again Dana."

Just like that, the person walked toward a booth with drinks in hand. Sam looked up at Dana. Her eyes and mouth widened as she raised her eyebrows. Her mouth became dry.

"Nice to see you too Kev." Dana answered nodding her head toward him to Sam as she raised her eyebrows back.

Sam stood from the bar and took a deep gulp of air. After breathing out a long sigh she said, "Well, he does have my drink..."

As Samantha slid her body into the booth where Kevin had her drink, Faith approached Dana wearing her inquisitive face. "Who's the hunk over there with Sam?"

"Oh ... that's Sam's ex-boyfriend, Kevin." Dana rested her elbow on the bar and placed her cheek in her hand. "Mmm, he is pretty nice looking ... isn't he?" She asked herself.

"Uhh ... did I hear you say that right? Did you just say that is Sam's ex-boyfriend?"

"Uh hu."

Faith followed Dana's posture. Her expression became deflated. Just minutes ago she was lit up by the beautiful smile of Samantha. She narrowed her eyebrows and tightened her lips. It appeared the flirtatious dance they had been exchanging was nothing more than her imagination. Perhaps Sam was just being kind.

Kevin reached out across the table and gently grabbed Samantha's hands. Sam looked up at Kevin and gave a remorseful smile.

Faith spoke defeatedly, "Well ... I guess I've been barking up the wrong tree then."

With that, Faith stood from the bar, straighten her shirt and walked slowly back toward her office.