Chapter 27 - Torturous Hope

Author's Note: Within this chapter, you will find a descriptive narrative of a sexual assault. This is indicated with italics. You can choose to skip this section and still not lose the connection to the story.

Mike gave the front door a quick shake and checked the dead bolt to assure Cahoots was safe for the remainder of the night. He turned to the now empty club. Everything was in order. Faith's staff had done a tremendous job closing the event, breaking down the outside venue and bringing back the shine to the now hauntedly quiet establishment. All of Faith's employees stayed the help. Not one of her people found themselves anywhere but Cahoots tonight. Faith had a crew scheduled to close while others would take their leave and go home after a hard night's work. But not one of the them left until just ten minutes ago. Mike could see that Faith was well liked and respected by her staff. He too liked her. She had a fire inside her... an energy that radiated from her by just being near. Yet, Faith was compassionate, fair, and kind. Many times Faith had given an employee a second chance, a shoulder to cry on or an opportunity to work despite a sketchy past or physical appearance. It didn't matter to Faith that someone had a myriad of tattoos, piercings, multi-colored hair, or what shape and size they came in. As long as they were hard working, treated her customers well, and dependable she would welcome them to work for her. It was almost as if faith could see beyond a person's exterior and know their true nature. Mike typically had a physical presence that spoke loud and clear. While on duty as a police office and running the club's security tonight he stood tall, shoulders square, jaw rigid, and feet ready to move. It was as if he wore a sign that said, "I'm In Charge. Don't Fuck With Me!" But, when Mike talked about his daughter, there was something in his eyes that lit up. There was something more to this man. Something more that Faith could see and not yet put her finger on yet. Her gut told her that she wanted him as part of her team at Cahoots. Already, Faith had shown Mike a respect and soft commanding presence he was not used to being shown. People were usually afraid of Mike based on his outward appearance alone. So, when their boss seemed lost and in need of help, they all took the opportunity to repay her for her kindness, Mike included.

Mike walked past the empty dance floor now bare and pristine. Not even three hours ago, the floor was spattered with the blood of a drunken pirate, host to a fallen angel tangled in her past, and stage to onlookers curious to know what had happened.......

A couple hours earlier:

Dana watched as Faith soothingly spoke to Sam. "Sam. It's OK. You're not alone. I'm here."

Tears ebbed from the Dana's eyes, streaming off her chin. "I wasn't paying attention Faith. She needed me and I wasn't there. I'm sorry. I'm sorry Sam. I'm so so sorry."

"It's not your fault Dana." Faith replied, not taking her eyes off her girlfriend.

"Sam, it's OK now. You're safe. I'm here. I'm here Sam." Samantha still didn't reply to Faith. Faith looked at Dana with uncertainty storming in her eyes. "I don't know what to do." She paused. "I don't know how to help her. Do we call an ambulance?"

Dana swiped away the torrent of tears with the palm of her hand. She scooted up next to Samantha's curved back. "Sam. It's Dana. We're both here. You're safe Sam." Samantha remained motionless and unresponsive, her arms unmoved from the onset of the event. Dana felt a need to see Sam's face. She moved her hand slowly toward the hair that spilled onto the floor. If she could brush her hair aside just a little bit, she may be able to see her. "Sam? Honey?" Dana's fingers now centimeters from Sam's ebony strands draped across her face.......

"Dana! Don't touch her!!" came a deep commanding voice.

Dana quickly retracted her hand. "Jesus Mike!"