Chapter 36 - Blooming

"Erin..."

Erin's eyes met Dana's. She melted into the deep blue before her. Erin was drawn in like an undertow threatens to drown those who dare swim in the depths. Dana's eyes were on the opposite spectrum of Faith's luminous blues. They were the blue seen reflected from the near night sky as the sun set. Glints of gold flickered within, often reflecting the playfulness of Dana's personality. Erin was captivated by the warmth felt within her body. Her thick full lashes batted faster as if trying to keep pace with her racing heart. Despite the dryness within her mouth, Erin again swallowed hard.

"Huh?"

"I said no." Dana repeated.

Erin continued to stare into the deep pools now dancing with slivers of gold.

"Did you hear me that time? Erin... I said no when he asked me out."

Finally computing what Dana shared, Erin stepped back with a puzzled look. "But, why? You really seemed excited to see him and I thought maybe there was something more there."

"I was excited to see him. Kevin and I go way back. He's a sweet guy, but my feelings for him are more like... well, like a brother. Besides, my romantic interests lie somewhere else." Dana trailed off. She looked down at her feet. Then she sheepishly looked over the top of her eyes. She waited there for any response Erin might have.

"Oh?" Erin continued, "Well, whomever it is, you should tell them Dana. They most likely feel the same. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to spend time with you." She turned back toward the bar trying not to show how nervous she'd become. She continued to feel deflated. Granted, she was relieved that Dana said no to Kevin. But, she appeared to have an interest in someone else. She wanted to be supportive, as friends are. Why do I feel so relieved? It's not like she'd ever have an interest in someone like me, Erin thought. Erin saw herself as someone with no clear path in life. She felt defeated by the life dealt her so far. If not for Mike, she felt she would surely be in an institution somewhere shattered in ruin or dead by now. For years, she fought the urge to end her suffering... to have some kind of release or relief from the hopelessness she felt. It took so much effort to face each day and actively be a part of life outside the walls of her room as well as the walls of her fractured soul. But, lately it had become a bit easier to greet each day. Maybe it was Mike's need for help with her niece. Maybe it was her new-found friendships recently. Maybe it was that Faith needed her help at Cahoots.

Erin proceeded to wipe down the counter, again where it was apparently clean. This time Dana boldly stepped between the bar and Erin. Erin shifted backward, dropped her hands to her side in exasperation and sighed.

"Please put that down for a minute?" Dana requested pointing to Erin's hand. Erin tossed the bar towel on the countertop behind Dana and crossed her arms in front of her.

Dana placed her hand on one of Erin's pretzeled arms in front of her. "I just did."

Erin gave a sideways look perplexed by Dana's statement. Having been just up in her head, she winched her face in question.

"You said I should tell the person I have an interest in."

"Yeah?"

"Well, I just did."

Starting to realize what Dana was getting at, Erin's eyes widened as she relaxed her arms. Dana took each hands in hers. "I told you Erin."

"Me!?"

Dana moved Erin's hands in together and held them side by side in between her own. "Yes Erin, you."

Erin's hands became clammy. Her mouth dropped open slightly as her eyebrows raised just as much. "Me? Why me? I... I'm nothing special."