Chapter Five

Going the Distance - Chapter Five

A welcomed Encounter

I looked at him, sniffing loudly. My tears were just coming out naturally now.

"I'm fine, seriously, you don't need to worry." I looked ahead of me, at the road.

"You don't look too fine." He said, a polite, sympathetic grin formed on his face. He looked to where I was looking. I didn't reply for a few minutes.

"Why don't we go get a coffee? Will that cheer you up?" He smiled. His smile was irresistible. Why was he being so nice to me? He didn't even know me.

"Yes, okay." I glanced at him as he stood up. He turned around to me and extended his arm, helping me up. I grabbed my bag and hiked with him to Starbucks.

The warm air from the heaters hit me as soon as I shut the door behind me. Benedict, kindly, payed for the drinks and we sat down at a table, facing each other.

The sky was going dark and it was only around 1pm. Rain started to hit the windows and trees were being blown against by gusts of wind. What a horrible day.

"So, can I ask what your name is?" He peered away from his coffee and folded his hands on the table.

"Urm yes. My name is Jenny." I half-smiled while taking a sip of my coffee.

"I'm Benedict," He replied, "Pleasure to meet you."

We just talked about a lot of things during the coffee trip. Mainly, the reason why I stormed out of the office, our favourite things and basically just our life.

We seemed to have a lot in common. He also told me about his career. He was an actor, I should of known. I had definitely seen his face somewhere. We stayed in Starbucks for some time, considering that I didn't have the guts to go home and tell Neve about my shit day. I was just going to pretend that my day was normal. I knew that I would burst into tears if I didn't.

Time did tick away quickly and it turned around three in the afternoon. The rain had stopped for a short while so we stood up and exited the coffee shop. We stood outside for a few minutes.

"Thank you for the coffee." I glimpsed into his beautiful eyes.

"My pleasure," He glanced in mine "We should do this again." He suggested.

"Definitely." I replied.

"Same time tomorrow?" He said.

"Could we maybe get coffee a bit later? I was only out this early for arguing with my boss," I rolled my eyes but I smiled, " I should be in till 4 and I have an hour before my bus arrives."

"That's fine, I'll meet you outside the office. I'm here for a few weeks, anyway." He explained, "I have to look at scripts for a new film."

I nodded. "Okay then. I have to go. Goodbye Benedict." I grinned.

"Goodbye Jenny." He said, softly. He waved his hand and turned to walk away. I walked the opposite way. Butterflies were still present in my stomach. How somebody could make your day so much better was beyond me. I carried on strolling. The crispy leaves on the pavement being crushed by my shoes as I did.

I stood under the bus shelter for the next bus. It was getting pitch black and the moon was already present. I grabbed my phone from my blazer pocket and checked it for messages. One immediately popped up.

Hello, Jenny. How was your day? It was Neve. Wow. It was the first time she had really took an interest in what I was doing. It was nice though.

Brilliant. I quickly sent back as my bus approached the shelter. I hopped on and sat by the window, the bus was mostly empty. I was sitting there, just wishing that everything was going to be better tomorrow. Hopefully, I wasn't going to be dismissed early again.