Chapter Nineteen

Going the Distance - Chapter Nineteen

Happy New Year

"3... 2... 1... Happy New Year!"

Everybody chanted together. The room was full of people immediately turning to hug and kiss all of their close friends and partners. Benedict immediately embraced me in a warm kiss. I definitely didn't reject.

We were at Benedict's house and he had invited some people for a 'social gathering'. That is what he called it. Most would call it a 'party'.

It was actually really fun and he invited Neve and Matthew, her boyfriend which she was delighted about and the rest were all Benedict's other friends.
Me and Benedict had spent most of the night talking to the other guests at the party, they were all very kind and pleasant.

It was early in the morning when something extraordinary happened. Mostly everybody was dancing whilst the rest were standing by, chatting to each-other. The music completely stopped and the house became deathly silent. Everybody was looking at each-other. I looked at Benedict and he was smiling, why was he smiling?

Suddenly, I saw Matthew lead Neve through the crowd of people towards the middle of the home. Neve looked confused, more confused than me.

Matthew dropped to one knee and Neve put her hands over her mouth.

"Neve, we've known each-other for so long. Almost 4 years, to be exact, and I love you more than ever. Would you do me the honour of being my wife?" He seemed very nervous.

"Yes! Oh god, yes!" He stood up and placed the ring on her finger, immediately embracing her in a kiss and then a hug. I was absolutely streaming with tears, it was adorable. A lot of 'aww's filled the room and then the music continued. I rose from the sofa and then made my way towards them, they were being congratulated by Benedict's friends.

"Congratulations, Neve!" She turned towards me and immediately hugged me.

"Jenny! I'm getting married!" She excitedly muttered into my ear. I hugged her tighter.

"I'm extremely happy for you." She stopped hugging me and glimpsed at me.

"It'll be you next." She remarked, chuckling. I grinned at the thought of Benedict proposing to me.

"Not just yet." I laughed.