Chapter Seventeen

Going the Distance - Chapter Seventeen

Christmas with the Cumberbatch's

Christmas Day was absolutely amazing. When I woke up to find Benedict lying beside me on the sofa, I knew straight away that I had found somebody who I wanted to have the good fortune of knowing for the rest of my life. Later in the morning, I said goodbye to him and got a taxi to my flat.

As I pushed the door open and stepped into my flat, I noticed a box, wrapped up in shiny wrapping paper on the oak table next to the kitchen. I walked over to it and picked it up, it was a small box. I noticed a label on the side of it.

'To Jenny,
Merry Christmas!
Lots of love,
Neve xx'

It was really kind of her but we agreed not to get each other presents; I felt kind of bad that I didn't have anything to give back to her. I started unwrapping it, nevertheless. I took the lid off of the box and revealed a small silver bracelet, it was beautiful. I put it around my wrist immediately.

Thank you for the present, Neve. I text her and then wandered into my bathroom to have a shower. Ben was picking me up in an hour and a half, then we were going to his parents, so I decided to start getting ready earlier than I would.

I created a natural look of makeup and wore a cream sweater with skinny jeans and navy ankle boots, they had a small heel on them. As it was cold, I was prepared to wear my brown coat that draped to just above my knees and a scarf. When I was happy with how I looked, I sat on my sofa and watched television until I heard a knock at the door. I opened it and was greeted by Ben.

"Hello." I said, whilst I grabbed my coat, scarf and bag.

"Hello." He grinned. I stepped out of my flat and closed the door, locking it.

We caught a taxi and made our way to his parents.

The whole experience of going to his parents was less awkward than I originally thought. They were lovely and very welcoming. The dinner was delicious and afterwards, we sat at the table, drinking wine. His parents were telling me stories of Benedict as a child, some of them were hilarious and caused Ben's cheeks to burn red.

It was around 8pm and we decided to leave their home. I hugged them both and said goodbye before getting into the taxi with Ben. I was overjoyed; I felt like crying. It sounds so stupid but I had never experienced a time like that, my family never sat around the fire, talking about old times.

We had never had a Christmas like that, me, my father and my mother. I looked up at the stars and thought of my Mother, she cared so much for me and I hoped that she was having a joyful time in heaven. I also hoped that my Father was having an extremely awful time. He left my home when I was 8 and left me alone with my mother. 2 years later, my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. I can't really say that I had a good childhood; that's the reason that i was so overwhelmed by spending Christmas like it was meant to be spent.

And it was all thanks to Ben. If I hadn't had bumped into him two times in one day, I would have most likely been at home, in front of the television with a meal for one shoved on the coffee table, drowning in my owns tears. Lonely.