Chapter Twenty One

Going the Distance - Chapter Twenty One

Coming and Going

It was mid-January when I had sat at the table with Neve. I had made dinner and she said she wanted to talk to me. She said it was 'big news'. I wouldn't have been surprised if the news was related to Matthew. Since the proposal, her and Matthew had spent so much time together. Which is normal, obviously, but I couldn't really say that I wasn't a little bit jealous.

"Okay, Jenny. I need to tell you something." Neve looked up from her food, suddenly showing a serious expression.

"I know." I said, grabbing another spoonful of my dinner.

"Okay, well. You know that me and Matthew are engaged now, so, as like most engaged couples, we both want to spend our lives together." She glimpsed at me while I carried on eating.

"Can you just get to the point, please?" I mumbled, nearly finishing my meal. I know it is a little bit mocking but Neve could talk for hours, days, if she wanted to.

"Oh, urm. Yes, okay." She inhaled a large breath of air. "Matthew wants me to move in with him."

"That's fine." I quickly stuttered, standing up with my plate and making my way to the sink. That's when it hit me. I then realised what I had just dismissed.

She was moving away. The flatmate that had been in my company for years was moving away. Tears sprung to my eyes while I turned to face her, she noticed my tears straight away.

"You're leaving?" I asked.

"Well, it's what I want to do. I'm sorry, Jenny but me and Matthew want to take this seriously."

"You're leaving?" I repeated. During the proposal, It definitely hadn't sunk into my mind that Neve leaving would had been a possibility.

"Oh, Jenny!" She walked over to me and placed her arms around me, I held her back. "I'm really sorry but I have to do this. I wantto do this"

"It's okay. It's fine. I totally understand." I smiled faintly. I didn't want her to make a fuss of me. I was a grown woman, not a five year old.

Later...

"So she's moving out." I pushed a strand of blonde hair out of my face, "I'm going to have to move too because I don't think I can manage paying the mortgage myself."

Me and Benedict were strolling to Starbucks. The weather wasn't good, it was windy and my hair wasn't in a ponytail so it was blowing everywhere. There was a few moments of silence before Benedict replied.

"You can always move in with me" He looked at me, I grinned.