Chapter Thirteen

Going the Distance - Chapter Thirteen

Misery

I got dressed, slowly. I was already late. Neve had left, she had given up on waking me up. What is the point of trying to be quick if you are already late?

I didn't bother with breakfast, I just grabbed my bag and walked out. My phone probably wasn't even charged. It was chilly in the December air. It was my last day before I was off for two weeks. Christmas was on Saturday, it was Monday now. I remembered when I was a child, Christmas was so exciting. How times have changed.

I had forgotten my scarf so I was probably going to get the flu or something before next week. Brilliant. I had to wait 30 minutes for my bus. Fantastic. I was already an hour late for work. Spectacular!

When I did eventually arrive at work, nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to experience. I stepped in, trying to get together my mind-book of apologies and excuses ready to be spoken to Mr Farley. But something took my attention. Boxes, everywhere, on the receptionist desk and by the walls. I walked to my room, hurriedly.

Boxes.

What was going on?

"Oh Jenny!" Mr Farley ran into my room, "Thank God, I found you!"

"Mr Farley, what is happening?" I was panicking. Was I losing my job?

"They are getting rid of our company! They are completely tearing down this place. It is being made into something else." I knew what this meant. I was waiting for the words to escape his tongue. "I'm sorry, Jenny. You have lost your job."

He looked heartbroken. We had all lost our jobs. I was actually fucked.

Mr Farley gave me a sympathetic look before leaving my room, for me to pack up my stuff. I just stood there, holding back tears, glancing at my room. I was disturbed, however, when two men stepped into my room and started grabbing boxes. They were obviously clearing the place.

I grabbed my bag, not bothering with getting anything from my desk. It was all worthless now anyway.

I had a last glimpse at the office before I took a step out of my only job, the door slamming behind me. I looked ahead of me, surprised to see Benedict walking up the steps towards me.

"I'm so sorry, Jenny." He said, when he was close to me. He truly looked guttered for me. Putting his arms around me, I immediately fell into them and started sobbing my eyes out. He leaned his cheek against my forehead, holding me close.

It was fine for him. He probably had a load of jobs waiting for him, films being offered, roles to be played. Lucky him.

"Would you like coffee?" He said after a few minutes. I let go of him. I felt sick with anger after the days events.

"No, I think I'm just going to go home" I turned and walked away, leaving him stood there. I felt like I was going to throw up at any minute.

"Bye." He said and turned to walk away.

I hurried to my bus stop and got on the first bus to my destination. The rain started to fall and the scattered over the bus windows. As it got heavier, I looked at what I was wearing and my bag. I didn't have an umbrella, god, I didn't even have a scarf. I felt like hell.