Chapter Twenty Three

Going the Distance - Chapter Twenty Three

The Betrayer

Eventually the couple stopped wildly making out and the rain was starting to stop. It had been 10 minutes since we stopped under the shelter and I thought that we had stayed there long enough but the rain didn't agree.

I could still see the couple in the corner of my eye and the man was leaning next to her like Benedict was with me. They were talking quietly, the man's voice was still really familiar but I just shook it off.

"Should we go now?" I asked Benedict, still really uncomfortable.

"We can if you want to but we don't have an umbrella." I rolled my eyes again and turned towards the alleyway. It was spacious but was full of garbage. Bins were near the exit of the alleyway and you could most certainly smell them from the entrance. The woman, again, noticed me looking towards her and turned to face me quickly.

"Excuse me, do you have a problem?" She said, rather loudly. She was from the North of England. Ben noticed her shout at me, then tensed up.

"No, I do not." I answered her.

"Good." She replied, then looked back to her 'lover'. "Let's go, baby."

He nodded then they proceeded to walk past us to the entrance of the alleyway.

When they were strolling past us, the woman glared at me; she then eyed me up and down. The man followed behind and I studied his features, seeing whether I did know him or not. He had familiar emerald eyes and dark brown hair.

"Oh my god." I mumbled, tears started springing to my eyes.

Matthew.

The man was Matthew.

"You bastard!" I screamed at him, launching towards him. He seemed surprised by my actions and defended himself by pushing his hands towards me. He then realised who I was and his emotions grew sad.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?!" The woman shouted as Benedict grabbed me away and held me tightly so I couldn't hit him or anything. I really wanted to. He was cheating on Neve! My best friend!

"I can explain." He said quickly. Benedict then realised who he was.

"Go ahead. Explain. How could you do this, Matthew?" Tears rolled down my cheeks as I shook Benedict's hold away from me.

"Can somebody please tell me what's going on?!" The woman shouted, again. Benedict turned to face her.

"What's going on is that this man has a fiancé!" Benedict loudly explained. The woman started crying too.

"You have a fiancé, Matthew?! I thought you cared about me!" She screamed between sobs. I then realised how fucked up this situation was.