Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Cindy

It was so early in the morning, that my only source of any light was my dimly lit bedside lamp. The screen was so old and worn it hung askew, revealing the top of the lightbulb. I got out of my bed that was supposed to be a warm and comfortable place to sleep. It was anything but. It, alongside the lamp, was old and my mattress had turned flat and hard to sleep on after all the years.

My room was nothing to shout home about. It was dark, cold and barely had any furniture. My few belongings were packed neatly in a shoebox tucked under my bed, against the wall. I also a had a worn-out dresser to store my clothes in.

In a way, I had everything I needed, but not the only thing I wanted. All I wanted was the love of a parent, and I had that from mom and dad until it was all ripped away, only to be replaced with someone who looked at me with hatred, and treated me like I was an abomination.

I pulled out one drawer and picked up the first clothes I saw; A grey and very worn t-shirt, along with ripped jeans. The jeans weren't ripped like the ones you find in stores, they were just old, ugly and ruined.

I was shivering while changing, hating the feel of the cold temperature on my skin. As soon as that was done I went over to my bed and crouched down beside it, pulling out the shoebox. I stored every small item in here, even a scrunchy, which is what I needed right now.

I raked my slender fingers through my blonde hair, not bothering with a brush, and pulled it into a tight ponytail to keep the hair out of my face when I got to work on the chores of the day. As I placed my hand on the doorknob and stepped out, I started a day as depressing as the rest I'm sure to come, and have passed by.

*

The day started s normal. I made them breakfast and served everything perfectly, just to have them complain that it wasn't. I was used to it, so I didn't take it to heart. I was mopping the floor in the kitchen, when my step mom's shrill voice cut through the air.

"Cindy!"

I sighed, placing the mop against the kitchen bench, praying it wouldn't fall to the floor, making a lot of noise. I pushed open the double doors to enter the breakfast room. I can't believe she had a room she only uses to have breakfast. Such a waste. "Yes?" I asked politely as I could, standing straight to not give her too much ammunition.

She folded her hands together and rested her chin on them. She was pretty once, but it was like the evil in her twisted her features to match her dark heart. Her black hair was brushed back tightly in a sleek bun.

The veins in her hands very prominent and she had extremely sharp features. I guess she could be classified as pretty, but it's hard to look at the woman who made your life miserable and compliment her.

"Don't give me that snarky yes!" she said in a sharp tone.

I pressed my lips together tightly and looked down, placing my hands behind my back. "I'm sorry" I apologized. I was anything but sorry. I was actually a pretty strong person, but I have talked back to her enough in the past, and the woman hit with an enormous strength you wouldn't imagine someone at her age have. I was acting weak in front of her to shield myself. It made sense, because how can you break someone who's already broken?

"Don't talk more than necessary. Today, your chores will be different. We have an upcoming masked ball with some important guests, so you have to go to the grand hall and prepare it. Here is the list of things that need to be done, and I expect it to be done in a timely fashion. Here's the key." She said, handing me a slip of paper and a golden key.