Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Hey, if you want to know why i havn't updated in ages, it's a load of different reasons. And when i was ready to post the chapter, something wrong made all these weird symbols between each word, and then i lost the document and so on, but i have worked really hard on getting it ready for you guys, i havn't forgotten you!

Cindy

Done. As I closed the door to the supply closet filled with equipment to clean floors, I was done for the day. This is probably how it must feel to clock out for the day after work. The difference is that this isn't work. It's hell, and I don't get paid either. I really wish I could take a warm and relaxing bath right now to help on my sore muscles. Oh well.

At least I still have some chocolate bars stashed in the shoebox under my bed. I scooped out the box from under the bed and grabbed a bar and sat on the bead, with my back leaning against the headboard.

When I was about to unwrap it, I noticed some strange on it. I moved it closer to my old lamp on my nightstand. My lips parted in surprise as I saw it was a number with a name written under it; Jake.

So he had an ulterior motive by getting this for me. I couldn't call him, could I? What good would that do? I barely had time to see Amber, and whether he was interested in being friends or more, I wouldn't have time to see him anyway.

I knew if I told Amber about this, she would without a doubt push me to call him, and I would never hear the end of it. I also couldn't call him from my phone. I didn't want him to have my number. Should I just ignore it?

My thoughts drifted back to the dance and outside the store. He was really nice, and it was actually kind of sad thinking I would never see him again, that someone who treated me with kindness would be someone I vaguely remembered years from now.

Maybe I could call him just to thank him once again, and that could be the end of it? I decided the safest way to contact him without giving him an opportunity to stay in touch was simply to use a pay phone. I know there is one not too far from here.

Seeing as it was night now, when my horrible excuse of a family was asleep, was my only chance to give him the one time call. I put the chocolate bar in the pocket of my jeans and got ready.

Doubt he'll even answer this late, but at least I'll get to leave a message.

*

I was standing in the phone booth and dialed the number. As expected he didn't answer, but it could still leave a message.

"Hey, it's Cindy, if you still remember me, it's just that most people forget about me. Anyway, that's not what I wanted to say. I just found the number you left me. I just wanted to thank you again, it was really sweet of you, literally" I laughed, seeing as chocolate is sweet as in taste. But the little laugh I let out was more of a sad one, knowing this would never happen to me again.

"I don't have that much to say, but I really appreciated it, and I know you said you have a feeling we run into each other again soon. I don't know if you said that, knowing I would find you a number and call you, asking to meet, but that won't happen. Again, I just wanted to call to say thank you. I'm calling from a pay phone right now. I just can't leave my number and if you ever see me again, don't talk to me, please" I finished and hung up.

I had what felt a big rock in my chest. Why was that so much harder than I thought it would be? It shouldn't have been, I barely knew the guy. But at the same time, I had difficulties describing the feeling, but I felt by not opening up to a friendship with him, I lost so much more than that.