Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Stephanie

Quite honestly I don't know how we got here. One minute Jacqueline, Cassandra, and I were in my bed watching The New Edition Story for the umpteenth time while we sang every song we could. I hardly even remember closing my eyes to sleep, but next thing I know we're all in the back of a car traveling somewhere.

Sounds scary, right? Yeah, it was. But it wasn't as scary as being in a car with two people who you know to be your grandparents but they look way younger. Oh and the radio says that it's Wednesday 5 June 1985. 1985.

We started freaking out in the backseat of I guess our grandparents' car. They had to pull over to the side of the road to calm us down.

"Girls, I know this may all just be hitting you, but it's okay. We're here for you now." Grandma Agnes says sympathetically.

"Right. I loved my sister and her husband so much. I loved them as much as you three did, but it's time to face the facts. We'll take good care of you. I'll take care of my nieces like you're my own." Grandpa Edward says sternly as he grips the stirring wheel tightly.

I had to stop the girls from speaking.

"Um, Uncle Eddie, how far are we from your house?" I asked slowly.

"We're about twenty minutes out, sweetie," Grandpa says. "And it's your house now, too. It's our house."

I just nodded as I stared at my cousins. I don't know why we were in 1985 and our grandparents thought we were sisters. And what parents? They must have died. Nothing is making sense. This just has to be a bad dream.

"...and now, the hit song from the top charting group New Edition, Cool It Now!" The radio helped us calm down. At least we knew some of the music that would play.

"Everybody's saying silly things without knowing that life brings a change. And they've been checking all the signs. My friends say I'm lovesick cuz I...All I keep thinking about is her in my arms. And I won't be the same until she is mine. And my friends keep telling me to..." Cassie sang the song beautifully, making Grandma and Grandpa smile.

"You know, we told Patty that you girls were coming and she told the other mothers who told their boys. The boys are excited to see you." Grandma says.

"What boys?" Cassie asked, portraying our confusion.

"Bobby, Ricky, Mike, Ronnie, and Ralph." Grandma answered like it was obvious.

"Aggie, you know it's been a few summers since they'd been to visit. Plus they wouldn't see the boys over breaks with them touring." Grandma said as he took an exit off the highway.

"That's right. Well, Patty said they were home for a few months before they go back to Los Angeles," Grandma looked back at us and smiled. "Hopefully you'll get reacquainted. Everyone in the neighborhood can't wait to see y'all."

We just smiled nervously as we got farther away from tall, sleek buildings and closer to the projects.

Outside of one the many identical buildings, Grandpa stopped the car. The children playing outside also stopped to watch as we got out of the car.

"Welcome to your new home: the OP!" Grandpa smiled as he got out of the car. He went to the trunk to get our bags as three girls ran up to the car.