Chapter 7

Chapter 7
Stephanie

1985-86

Shit. Shit. Shit. We shouldn't have gone to sleep.

When I wake up, I'm on a tour bus with Cassie and Brooke.

"Brooke!" I jump up quickly. Cassie jumps up too.

"What's wrong?" Brooke asks, instantly on alert.

"Where's Jacque?" I ask, trying to figure out the time we jumped to now.

"She's with Mike on their bus. You know they can hardly be sep...ar...ated," he stares at our confused faces. "You jumped again, didn't you?"

We nod. "What time is it to you?"

"September 1985." Cassie answers.

"It's December 1985. We've been on tour for about three months now," Brooke says and we sit down. "What happens next year?"

"Bobby gets voted out because he's doing drugs, fucking up on stage, being extra, having a kid, and doing douche shit. It happens soon." I answer.

"So the group becomes a quartet. But before that Mike also finds out that they aren't under MCA Records but A Fast Break– a company Gary owns." Cassie adds on.

"This happened already. What next?" Brooke asks.

We nod. "Okay. They now have to pay off this debt by making albums. Once Bobby is gone they make one, and only one, album as a quartet." I finish.

"So that's it for New Edition?" Brooke asks. "It can't be. Y'all still like them in 2017."

"You're right. They make a few more albums. The biggest one being Heartbreak. It goes double platinum. But it's because of the new sound they get with a new member." Cassie smiles.

"That's good enough for me," Brooke stops us from saying more. "Can we stop Bobby from getting kicked out?"

"No. Bobby has to go in order for a number of events to happen. The Heartbreak album has to happen for other music groups to come along. It becomes an influence to millions. Plus it's a dope ass album." Cassie answers. I have to smile at that.

"When we get to the next venue, we'll check on Jacque. I know she's freaking out." Brooke says and we nod.

We stare out into the night as blackness rolls past. We don't reach the next venue until late the next morning.

"Oakland?" I ask as we step off the bus.

"This is where it happens, Brooke." Cassie whispers and Brooke frowns.

"We'll deal with it when it happens. Just make sure you're there when it does." Brooke says and we nod.

"Hey Cee Cee. Come here, girl." Ralph smiles as he gets of his tour bus. He makes his way over to Cassie and gives her a big hug. When he pulls back, he frowns. "What's wrong? You act like you seen a ghost or something."

"Still getting them bad dreams, Cass?" Ricky asks as he gets off the bus.

"Bad dreams?" Cassie asks. Ricky nods. "No. Just a little dazed."

"They woke up a little confused. You know how touring is," Brooke covers us. "Where's Jacque?"

Jacque quickly comes off the bus after Ronnie and Mike. She practically runs over and hugs me.

"Steph, something's wrong with Jacque. She wouldn't talk after she woke up screaming." Mike says, worry all over his face.

"It's okay. I got her," I squeeze Jacque. "I got you. Let's get inside."