Chapter 14

Chapter 14
Ralph

1989

"Rizzo, that was great, man!" Jimmy Jam says with a smile as I finish a verse for my song Sensitivity.

"Thanks. Do you think we can take it from the first hook?" I ask as I look at the lyrics sheet.

"Sure. Then we'll take it from the top." Jimmy says and I just nod as the playback starts. I sing the song with ease before doing it all over again.

After another thirty minutes of singing and laying down different vocals, Jimmy and I leave the studio.

I didn't want to work on the album so soon after the Heartbreak tour but Cee Cee thought it would be a good idea. She thought I'd do better if my album could compete with the guys' in the spring versus later in the year. I hardly ever fight her because she's almost always right so I went along with it.

As I get in my car to go home, I can't help but feel a sense of dread go through me. Like something was wrong. Of course, I've been feeling this way for a few weeks now. With Cee Cee losing so much weight, always throwing up, and having horrible back pains, I've been stressed and worried. My baby was hurting and she didn't want my help. It makes me feel useless.

I take a deep breath and start for our apartment. When I get inside, it's too quiet.

"Baby?" I call out as I drop my keys on the small table near the door. "I'm home. You here?"

In our two bedroom apartment, it isn't hard to find anyone, but the quiet was making me nervous.

I don't hear anything so I check the second bedroom that we were going to use as a nursery for the baby. I was really hoping for a girl. I already bought some hair bows and teddy bears to go in the room. Cee Cee wasn't in the rocking chair that she had wanted for the room so I went to our bedroom.

It's there that I hear something: Soft sobbing coming from the attached bathroom.

"Cee Cee?" I call softly. The sobbing tries to stop but comes out in gasps. I walk into the bathroom. "Cassie?"

I look at my baby— my fiancée curled up on the bathroom floor in her own blood. "Cassandra!"

I drop down next to her as she tries to quiet her sobbing.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She keeps repeating through her sobs.

"What's wrong? What happened?" I ask as I try to desperately help her. I don't know what to do or where to begin.

"The baby," she says before bursting into fresh tears.

"What about our baby?" I ask, tears filling my own eyes. It can't be.

"It's gone," she cries, still curled up in her own blood. "I f-felt it."

I look down at her feet to see a little blob amongst the thick, red, drying blood. "Cee...n–but..."

She just sobs harder at my speechless state. "We need to get you to the hospital." I finally say. I pick her up in my arms as she continues to cry heart-wrenching tears. I wrap the biggest towel I can find around her before leaving the apartment for the nearest hospital.

I get her checked in and seen by a doctor before calling Steph to get her, Jacque, and the guys here. They're here within thirty minutes.

"Ralph," Steph wraps her arms around me when she comes with everyone in tow. Steph pulls back after the tight, much-needed hug. "How is she?"

"The doctor just left the room. She's fine. The bleeding's stopped but she doesn't want to see me. She wants to be alone, but she did ask for you two." I say to Steph and Jacque. Steph nods before going into the room. Jacque hugs me tightly before following her sister into the room.