Chapter 26

Chapter 26
Cassandra

1996-97

Bobby fell off the deep end. His substance abuse got even worse. With the guys' album coming out soon and the tour after, Bobby has hardly gone to rehearsal. And if he has, he's been too high to do anything. As sad as it is, it's exactly what needs to happen for the tour to go as planned. The guys know this but it doesn't matter to them— Bobby shouldn't be acting such an asshole.

"Will will kick RJ's ass, Rizz. Don't do it to yourself or to him." Mike teases Ralph as he holds Will on his shoulders. We all, sans Bobby, were at Jacque and Mike's house to play basketball with the kids.

Tre, Lucy, and Kim couldn't be bothered to play ball but Will, RJ, Q, Ben, Wally, and Jackson were loving the toy basketball hoops Jacque and Mike had for their future basketball stars. Of course, Jackson was better than her brothers and cousins just like her mother.

"I kick all y'all." Jackson says as she throws the ball into the hoop with ease.

"That's Momma's baby." Jacque picks Jackson up and twirls her in the air.

"She got y'all beat." Steph laughs with Tre in her lap. Her little Momma's boy.

"Jack and Jackie, do not interrupt right now. I'm trying to get Will to fight RJ," Mike says and looks back at Ralph. "For the last time, RJ is not on Will's level. It's facts."

I roll my eyes. "Shut up and let them play." I pull Will off of Mike's shoulders and grab RJ's hand. I softly push them toward the basketball hoops where the others were.

"Stop putting them against each other," Ricky says. "Jack Jack could whip all our asses combined anyway. She's the only one who's going to be a basketball star."

"WNBA," Jackson says as she makes a shot. "First girl in the NBA though."

"She has such high hopes," Mike wipes at nonexistent tears. "And she's tall."

We all roll our eyes. "Shut up, Mike."

I just laugh as I sit at the edge of the pool and put my feet in. I softly kick the water as I look at my family. In a few months this could all be gone. If God truly is a merciful God, He won't tear us apart. I don't even think I could go back to 2017. Not after living this life.

"You good, Cee Cee, baby?" Ralph asks as he holds Q up to the real basketball goal so he can dunk.

"Yeah. I'm good, baby." I smile. Steph comes over with Tre who flicks the water with his hand.

"Auntie Cass." Tre smiles at me.

"Hey little dude." I smile back.

"Everything is going to be fine." Steph says quietly.

"I know. God has us." I nod.

"Facts," Ronnie says as he sits on my other side. "That's what y'all say then, right? That's a thing?"

Steph and I laugh at Ronnie. "What else is the new slang?" Johnny asks from across the backyard where he plays ball with Wally.

"Fleek, bet, facts, doing the most, take several seats. We always said "for the free"," Jacque stops to think. "I can't remember."

Steph frowns. "Me either. That's all I can think of."

"It's okay. You'll rediscover it all." Ricky says.

"Rediscover, Uncle Ricky?" Ben asks. "You mean remember?"

"Yeah, Little Ricky." Ricky smiles.

"That's not his name. His name is Benjamin or Ben. Maybe Benny. Not Little Ricky." Mike snaps.