Chapter 16

Chapter 16
Stephanie

1990

"For centuries, women have been pushed aside, made servants of, seen as weak and submissive. But today, we shall show you the power each and every woman has. The strength, divinity, and respect every women has and should demand from every last man, woman, and child. Tonight, we show you who really runs the world." I say to thousands of fans that pack the New Orleans Super Dome. They scream in the darkness as dramatic music plays. Lights flash on harshly and the crowd sees Cassie, Jacque, and I dressed in different African princess dresses.

"Girls, we run this mother, yeah. Girls, we run this mother. Girls. Who run the world? Girls. Who run this mother? Girls. Who run the world? Girls." Cassie sings the opening part of the song before I start singing.

"Some of them men think they freak this like we do but no they don't. Make your cheque come at they neck. Disrespect us, no they won't. Boy, don't even try to touch me. Boy, this beat is crazy! This is how they made me. New Orleans, LA baby...Let 'em know, Jacque!" The crowd goes crazy to hear the name of their (our) city.

"My persuasion...it can build nations. Endless power...our love we can devour. You'll do anything for me. Who run the World? Girls." Jacque sings.

"Girls, let everyone know. Come on, New Orleans!" I say and we all sing together as we dance.

"Who are we? What we run? The world. Who are we? What we run? The world. Who are we? What do we run? We run the world. Who are we? What we run? We run the world.
Who run the world? Girls!"

We end in a salute stance as the crowd goes crazy. We relax out of our poses.

"Besides running the world, what else do women do?" Cassie ask.

"We school life of course." Jacque smiles as she cues the music.

We sing and dance our way through our first hit single as the crowd sings and dances with us. We do a quick costume change behind a screen behind the digital wall onstage as Jacque talks.

"It's really crazy how some guys can't accept who I am." Jacque says.

"What? A ball player?" Cassie asks as the wrapped material of our dresses are pulled off of us by stage hands. We slip on are baggy jeans and shirts.

"Yeah. They don't think I should wear my pants down low or throw a ball. They think I should wear a dress and high heels." Jacque shakes her head as she walks out from behind the screen.

"Don't they know that we like to be comfortable too?" I ask as I lace up my Timbs. Cassie and Jacque do the same as headsets are put on us.

"Man, I don't know. All I know is that I like to wear my Hat 2 Da Back." Jacque says and the crowd screams. She throws on a baseball cap backwards and starts rapping.

"So yo, gettin' back to this dude wit' the foul attitude. Shoot he made another bad move sayin' that girls shouldn't wear baseball caps. He can go take a hike cause it's the style I like. Yeah it's a trip cause somethin' hasn't yet been said. I never talked about them damn fingerwaved in his head. Tight jeans and 2 rings in each ear. You know that is dead but it's me instead."

"Hat 2 da back. I gotta keep my pants down real low. That's the kinda girl I am. That's the kinda girl I am. Hat 2 da back. I gotta keep my pants down real low. That's the kinda girl that I am." We sing and dance, jumping up and down with the crowd.