Chapter 3

Chapter 3
Jacqueline

1985

For the next few weeks, we avoided the boys as much as possible. We went around the city as frequently as we could. We even got jobs at McDonald's. We were able to buy a nice used car to help us get around.

Every night when we got home, Grandma had a message from the boys to us. It was always that we called them or walked to their apartment to talk when we got a chance. We never did either. It was hard. A part of us pushed us to call them, to hang out with them. But we knew we couldn't. Not until we figured out why we were here and how to get back.

"Jacqueline! Stephanie! Cassandra!" Someone kept yelling our names. Steph fell asleep in our room after work last night. "Jacque, wake yo ass up, girl!"

No one would dare curse at us except for the boys. We sat up quickly to see all five boys in our room.

"Get out. How did you even get in here?" Steph glares at them.

"We not taking no for an answer." Ralph says.

"Y'all coming with us today." Bobby pulls Steph out of the bed and drags her to her room.

"Get dressed. Our schedules got pushed up. We leave tomorrow." Ricky says.

"And we refuse to leave without talking to you or spending one more day together so get dressed." Mike snaps and they leave our room.

"What the fuck?" Cassie rolls her eyes as she gets out of bed. We get dressed and brush our teeth before leaving the apartment. Steph is right behind us, fluffing her hair.

When we first got here, our hair was in the nasty straightened, puffy thing that was popular in the '80s but we couldn't stand it so we started trying to get our hair to do what it would in 2017. It was slow and ugly, but a month later our hair was transitioning well. It almost looked like it used to.

"Finally. Come on, we gotta have fun." Ronnie says once we're outside.

"We're gonna go see Back to the Future later tonight. It's supposed to be awesome." Ricky says.

"Oh I love that movie!" I say.

"You've seen it already?" Bobby asks. "It just came out and y'all been at work."

"She means she would love to see it," Cassie saves me. "We've been seeing the promo for it and like what we see."

"Oh right," Mike nods. "So first we'll be going to play ball at the Rec Center. Four-on-four."

"Then we'll go change and go downtown. We'll take y'all shopping." Ronnie smiles.

"And then we'll go get a late lunch at a nice place. Can't do our friends down bad." Bobby dusts his shoulders.

"We'll go look at some more shops but by time we finish eating it'll be time to catch the movie. And we'll be back in the OP around 11." Ralph finishes.

"That sounds great. Too bad we don't want to." Steph grabs my and Cassie's hand and starts pulling us away from them. They run to keep up.

"Why not? What's so wrong?" Bobby stops Steph. He steps in her face.

"First of all, you're high as fuck," Steph says and Bobby steps back down. "Second, this is fake. You're leaving tomorrow and won't be home for months. We won't get calls and won't see you until you get back. Then you'll say how much you've missed us. Well, we won't and don't buy it. So continue on with your day as if we had never been here."

We walk off, leaving them stunned. When we are far enough away, Cassie talks.

"Why does it hurt?" She asks. "Like we're supposed to spend the day with them?"