Chapter 15

Chapter 15
Jacqueline

1989-1990

Cassie had to stay in the hospital for another three days so doctors could measure not only her physical but her mental state. A lot of women that miscarriage have suicidal thoughts. They wanted to make sure Cassie was okay. MCA, Jheryl, and Brooke sent flowers and cards, and Brooke came to see Cassie.

When she was discharged, I was ready to tell her that the wedding would be pushed back. She chewed me out about how she still wanted the wedding in two months. I couldn't argue with her.

Cassie was in the hospital for my birthday so we brought the party to her by having cake and ice cream in her hospital room. Two days after my twenty-second birthday, Cassie was home and Ralph had shelved his solo album. Cassie is still fighting him on that. He even wants us to shelve our album until Cassie gets her strength up. But it doesn't work like that.

"I want the flowers to be different on each of the ten tables. And of course our table will have each of the ten bouquets on it." Cassie says as we meet with the wedding planner. She has thrown herself into the wedding with a lot of energy.

"I like it," I say as I look at the different floral arrangements. I take a look at the seating chart and frown. "Oh no. Our uncle Greg can't sit near Mike's aunt."

"He's a little too friendly. He has to sit around Ralph's uncles." Mike agrees.

"That's true." Ralph nods. Even in 2017, Uncle Greg on our Grandma Aggie's side is too friendly to be invited over for events.

"I'll fix it," The wedding planner, a black lady with straightened permed hair, says quickly. "I'll have sample bouquets here tomorrow and an updated seating chart."

"Thank you, Laura." Cassie smiles before gathering her things. We all get up to leave.

When we get outside, Mike and Ralph ask us what we want as wedding presents.

"I got my present when you made me manager of BBD and Boyz II Men." I answer with a smile.

"For you to finish the album so it's done for next spring," Cassie says and covers Ralph's mouth when he starts to protest. "Do it or you won't be getting married at all."

He nods and Cassie moves her hand. I laugh to myself. "See you tomorrow, Cass. We have to add some stuff to some tracks."

"Right. I'll see you." Cassie smiles the ghost smile she's been using for the last few weeks. They get into Ralph's car as we walk to Mike's car.

"She's still upset." Mike says as we get into his car.

"Of course she is. She lost her baby. All by herself," I sigh. "And now Ralph is trying to put everything on hold for her. That pisses her off more than losing the baby."

"Why though? It's his career. Let him do with it what he wants." Mike shrugs before pulling out of the parking lot.

"It's more than that. It's their life together. He needs to take her advice. Honestly Mike, have Steph, Cass, and I ever been wrong about our lives or your lives?" I ask.

"No. And it's really creepy that y'all aren't," Mike frowns. "Like y'all know the future or something," he grabs my hand. "Tell me what my future holds."

I roll my eyes before closing them and pretending to focus. "I see your own record company: Something with your— well, our last name," he gives my hand a tight squeeze so I know he's smiling. "Musial mogul who has several acts under him and manages them all. CEO and founder of a clothing company— Rich something. Acting, voiceovers, music judge."