Chapter 2

Chapter 2
Cassandra

1985

When Ralph Tresvant dragged me off from Steph, I was beyond scared. We weren't home. We weren't even in the right time period for God's sake, why are we running off with these boys?

"So Cee Cee, what's been going on?" Ralph asks we walk.

"Nothing." I shrug. I don't know what to say.

"Are you okay?" He asks. "Sorry. That's a stupid question. Of course you aren't. Your parents just died and you have to move here. That must suck."

"It's not that bad. I mean, moving here isn't." I don't say much but I hope he knows this sense we're supposed to be "best friends".

"Still my girl of a few words," Ralph laughs and I join him with a little sigh of relief. "At least we have one more year of school left."

"We?" I ask. I really hope I don't have to go to school. I can't repeat my senior year.

"Me and Mike. Bobby has another year after this and Ron and Slick graduated not too long ago like you and your sisters." Ralph says.

"Right." I nod, again relieved.

"Look! There's Zena," Ralph points st a girl ahead of us. "Baby!"

The girl turns around and smiles widely. She walks up to him and kisses him for a too long time to say they aren't in private.

I clear my throat and they pull apart. "Sorry, Cass," Ralph smiles as he wraps his arm around her waist. "Z, here's Cass. Cass, of course you remember Zena."

"Cass!" Zena wraps her arms around me and hugs me tightly. "I missed you, girl!"

"I missed you, too, Ze." I say as if I know her.

She pulls away first. "I'm sorry about your parents but I'm so happy you're here. It'll be like having my best friend here while Ralph is gone."

"Right." I nod with a smile.

"We were just walking around, Z. You wanna walk with us?" Ralph asks.

"I don't wanna be a bother. You're just seeing your best friend for the first time in like four years." Zena says.

"But I hardly get to see you, baby. That's not fair to you." Ralph says and it's like I've been forgotten in just that small second.

"Yeah I know. But be with Cass." She smiles at me. Ralph looks at me and nods.

"I'll come by later to get you," He kisses her again quickly before turning to me. "Come on, best friend. I gotta show you what the OP has to offer."

"Oh sure." I nod as I look up to see Steph and Bobby Brown heading our way.

"Rizz, let's take the girls over to the Rec to see Jacque fuck over Mike." Bobby says when he's close enough.

"Yeah. Cool." Ralph wraps his arm around my shoulders.

"You coming, Zena?" Bobby asks.

"No I'll catch y'all later. Hey Steph. It's good to see you again." Zena smiles.

"You too." Steph replies. We head for the Rec Center down the street where Jacque is playing two-on-two basketball against Michael Bivins and Ricky Bell with Ronnie Devoe on one of the outside courts. It's her dream come true I would guess.