Chapter 42

This chapter is dedicated to @MrsBossPlaya who recently just started commenting, voting, and reading the story. I remember seeing her blow up my notifications as she read the story! Thank you!

Chapter 42
Stephen

2016

"You need to tell your mother, your family."

"I know. I know. I'm trying," I sigh as I sit on the phone. "It's hard. I don't know if they'll be as accepting as your family was."

"You never know unless you tell them. I have to go. I have a photo shoot in a few minutes. I love you, Wally."

"I love you, too, Riah." I smile into the phone before hanging up. I sigh as I get up and walk back downstairs to the backyard of my parents' house. We had the entire cast of the biopic movie— The New Edition and SJC Story— over for a pre-filming cast party.

Everyone was swimming, eating, playing cards, singing, dancing, and overall having a good time with each other before we start filming the day after the 4th of July.

"Wally!" Mom smiles at me from the pool lounge chair she had declared as hers when the party started. "Where did you go? Mike wanted you to play ball with them."

"I had to take a call, Ma." I kiss her cheek.

"The mysterious lover you never want to talk about?" She says and I choke on the air.

"What?" I gasp after momentarily dying.

"Oh, come on, sweetie. You and I are just alike: Can't hide our emotions for the person we love. I know you've been seeing someone for over a year. You just won't tell me who the person is. I know you like to keep things under wraps, but I thought you would at least tell your own mother," She waves her hand. "It's fine. Whenever you're ready, I am."

"It's not that simple, Ma." I sigh.

"Love never is, sweetie. But you can make it that simple. If you really love this person, you'll bring her around." She says, but the smirk on her face says something different.

Yeah. Her.

"Yeah. Okay," I roll my eyes. "You seen Dad?"

"Playing pool in the garage. You know how they are." She waves her hand again before reclining back in the chair.

I kiss her cheek again before walking to the front of the house and into the garage where my dad, Tre, Will, and RJ were playing pool.

"Wal!" Dad smiles at me. Mom always says that Tre and I got his smile and that it was her favorite feature of ours.

"Hey Dad," I smile back. "Wassup y'all?"

"Just whooping Dad's ass," Tre says as he makes a tricky shot and gets the last of the striped balls in the pocket. "And hustling these two out of their money."

"Yeah. Whatever, lil nigga. You still owe me two hundred from the last time we played. So I don't owe you nothing." RJ laughs.

"It's one fifty. And now you owe me fifty for," Tre says before hitting the eight ball in. "This shot."

They all smack their teeth as I laugh. "Dad, can I talk to you?" I make sure I sound extra serious.

"Sure. Boys, can y'all give us a minute?" Dad asks and they leave, patting me on the back for support. They don't know what for, they know I need it. "What's up?"

"I have a problem, Dad," I start but stop because I don't know how to finish. "It's, uh...I, well, I am..."

"Just say it, son. It can't be that bad," He walks around the pool table to stand next to me. "You know how we are in this family: No secrets."