Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Stephanie

1985

"Stephie. Hey Stephie, wake up." Bobby shook me slightly and I sat up quickly. The last thing I remember is dreaming about home— 2017 home— and being with Travis.

"What? Where are we?" I ask, looking around for Travis. It felt so real. I stare at Bobby and frown.

Right.

I'm in 1985.

"We just landed in L.A. Come on. The others left the plane already." Bobby answers. He helps me up as I struggle to get back into 1985.

"About time, damn. We're late." Mike says once Bobby and I come from the baggage claim.

"Whatever, man. Stephie isn't feeling good." Bobby says protectively. His arms slips around my shoulders.

"You okay, Steph?" Cassie asks me, the worry showing in her eyes.

"Probably just jet leg. Come on. Let's get going." I say and we all set out for the limousine waiting for us outside of the airport.

"Oohhh a limo." Jacque smiles and hops into the back. Cassie and I follow her, taking the window sits. The boys follow behind.

"Why am I always in the middle?" Mike grumbles as he's the last to get in.

"Could be worse. Could have your foot ran over again." Ralph says and they all burst out laughing. We laugh with them.

"So y'all got a song y'all gonna perform?" Ronnie asks once we all stop laughing at Mike's expense.

"Um yes. Actually we have what could be an entire album. We have eight songs we've written and two we can cover from Whitney Houston." I answer.

"Ooh. Whitney Houston. Imma marry her one day." Bobby smiles and the girls and I share looks.

"Keep dreaming, Bobby." The boys tease him.

"Do y'all need to record the song?" Ralph asks.

"Need back up vocals?" Ricky asks.

"We already have the songs recorded actually." Jacque answers and pulls out her phone. To the boys, she pulls out a cassette tape from her Walkman.

"Let us listen then." Ricky tries to grab the Walkman. Jacque jerks back.

"Don't touch my Walkman." Jacq snaps. Ricky sits back with his hands up.

"Their parents gave them those, Slick. Don't touch." Ronnie shakes his head.

"We'll just see y'all when we get into the studio. There'll be time for you to rerecord a song or two and then practice." Ralph says and we nod as the limo starts slowing down.

"We have practice right now. Gary will be there. Maybe even the head of MCA Records. This would be a good time for you to practice. Maybe do our dances." Mike says.

"You sure? They might hire us to take y'all spots." Cassie smirks, being uncharacteristically cocky.

"Cee Cee, you could never be better than Ralph Tresvant." Ralph teases as the limo stops. He opens the door and lets us out. We follow the boys into the dance studio where a white man is stressing out about the boys being late.

"You're here! Finally! I was getting worried!" Gary Evans, the current manager of New Edition, sighs when he sees the boys. He holds his hand out to me and the girls. "You must be SJC. I'm Gary Evans, manager of New Edition. It's great to meet you. Really."

"Nice to meet you too, Gary. I'm Stephanie Wallace." I shake his hand.

"I'm Jacqueline Wallace." Jacque stares at his hand. Ever the rude one.