Chapter 17

Chapter 17
Cassandra

1990-91

We had to bring 24-hour physicians on the tour with Jacque being pregnant. We all think it's twins because she's getting bigger faster. It's harder for her to move on stage at three months and it worries us. But not as much as me being pregnant again.

We're all so terrified that I was stopped from performing all together. Doctor's orders. Steph and Jacque had to change the entire set to remove a lot of the songs that I sing. It upset our fans but it was understood the danger for me after an interview with me and the girls to explain the changes in our tour.

Soon, we'll be going overseas to start the European leg of our tour. We're taking a break now in Boston between February and April. By then, Jacque might be too big to perform so Steph will have to either perform by herself or we'll have to stop the tour. MCA won't be happy about that.

"How you feeling, baby?" Ralph asks me as I lay down on a sofa in his dressing room. A doctor was running tests on me.

"I'm fine. I feel annoyed," I look up at the doctor who quickly finishes his exam and leaves. "I feel fine. Better than when I lost the baby. And ten times better than when I had RJ. This baby is different."

"So? You want to go through that again? Because I don't. Seeing you so...broken hurt more than anything in my life. I won't let it happen again. So if that means you can't perform then so be it. But I'm not going to lose you or this baby." Ralph picks up RJ and leaves the dressing room.

I pick up something and hurl it at the wall of mirrors. They break and everyone comes running into the room except for Ralph.

"What's wrong?" Steph asks.

"Nothing," I snap before leaving the room. Ricky calls someone to clean up the mess as I walk away. I find Brooke talking to a stage crew member. "Hey Brooke. The doctor asked if I was okay and I told him I didn't feel any pain or anything like the miscarriage. I was wondering if my sets could be put back into the show?"

"Did you talk to Steph and Jacque about this? What does Ralph think?" Brooke asks after waving the stage crew member away.

I roll my eyes. "You know how Ralph is. He's overprotective."

"Well, convince him and I'll put you back in. I won't go behind his back." Brooke says and starts walking away.

"I am a grown woman! I don't need his approval!" I snap. Brooke turns around.

"You're right but he's your husband. And you're carrying his baby. He is the head of your family and doesn't want another tragedy. You didn't see you after you lost the first one. And you didn't see him. You two were the worst. It was like looking at two zombies who were burning alive. No one wants to experience that again." Brooke says and this time he succeeds in walking away.

I just stand there, thinking.

A few hours later, after N.E performs their different sets, I finally decide to talk to Ralph.

"It's still no, Cassie." Ralph says after getting out of the shower.

I switch RJ from my left arm to my right one. At ten months, he was starting to walk more but I didn't want him walking around this building. It could be dangerous.

"I understand," I say, not putting up a fight. He looks at me in shock. "You're right. I'm sorry for breaking that mirror."

He just stares at me. "This is some of your reverse psychology. I know this trick. You're going to make me feel bad or something to let you perform. It won't work."