Chapter 8

Chapter 8
Cassandra

1987

After Ralph and Johnny laid down some vocals for Boys to Men on their new album, they became real cool. The new album sounds even more amazing as they work on it. The girls and I already know it's impact on the world but actually listening to the production of it gives us chills.

"Cee Cee, get your cute ass over here." Ralph pulls me over to him as he gets out of the booth.

"Boy, finish recording with the boys." I smile at him.

"They can wait. I need to hold my baby." He says as he kisses me.

"But time is money. You know Jheryl would be upset if we spent our time in the studio playing around." I say.

"Shit, I ain't playing around yet." Ralph kisses me again with a laugh.

"Get in the booth." I slap his head and push him playfully. He blows me a kiss before going back in the booth.

"That boy doesn't even know how to act," Steph shakes her head. She plays with some of the controls on the sound board. "From the top, okay?"

"Since when have you been our producer?" Ricky asks.

"Since they got sick and needed an experienced person to watch y'all," Brooke says as he enters the studio. "Steph said from the top. Don't make me count y'all in."

They all get it together and put their headphones on.

"Nayhoo. Ohhh. Yeah yeah yeah yeah. Ohhh ohh oh. Whoa whoa-oh uh oh. On a perfect day, I know that I can count on you. When that's not possible, tell me can you weather a storm?" Johnny starts singing and Steph squirms in her seat.

"Cuz I need somebody who will stand by me. Through the good times and bad times she will always...always be right there." Ralph sings as he stares at me.

"Sunny days, everybody loves them. Tell me baby can you stand the rain? Storms will come. This we know for sure. Can you stand the rain?" They all sing together and we just about melt. When they finish the song, we scream like groupies.

"Oh God," Jacque pulls at her collar as she fans herself. "It just got so hot in here. Or is that me?"

"I can cool you down, baby," Mike licks his lips and Jacque flips him off. "Don't motivate me, baby girl."

"Shut up, Mike," Brooke warns the big headed fool. "I think it was a hit."

"Hell yeah. It is a hit." Steph says and I smile.

"Can we do it again?" Ricky asks and Steph nods. They run through the song again and it sounds even better.

***

"Brooke, we tired." Johnny bends over the catch his breath.

"No, nigga. You tired." Ronnie laughs breathlessly. The boys join him.

"I'm just not used to it yet, that's all," Johnny stands up. Steph throws him a bottle of water. "Thanks, beautiful."

She rolls her eyes but a big smile forms on her face as she turns away from him. She likes to put up a big front but we all knew she likes Johnny except for Johnny who honestly likes the challenge Steph gives him.

"If you're tired then the girls can take your spots. I'm sure they can do it better than you anyway." Brooke says and Jacque smiles.

"Of course we can. Just get us some mics." Jacque smirks as she grabs three mic stands. We set up in front of the boys and wait for Brooke to start the music.