Chapter 25

Chapter 25
Stephanie

1995-96

"Please welcome Grammy legends and one of my favorite music groups, SJC!" The host of this year's show, Ellen Degeneres, says and the applause is very loud.

I strut onstage from the center to applause. I pause and look around. "Ohhhh...I wanna dance with somebody. I wanna feel the heat..."

The audience cheers louder. Jacque struts from my left. "What are you willing to do? Ohhh tell me what you're willing to do."

Cassie finally struts from my right. "Call your girlfriend...it's time you've had the talk. Give your reasons...say it's not her fault."

"Wait," I say and Jacque and Cassie look at me. "I don't think the 1996 Grammys are ready for us."

The audience cheers. "You're right, Steph. Or, they don't want to see us." Jacque says.

"Let's take them on an Escapade." Cassie says and the song starts. She starts singing and dancing with Jacque and I dancing around her. "Come on baby, let's get away. Let's save our troubles for another day. Come go with me you got it made. Let me take you on an escapade."

The music changes.

"Creep, creep, creep. 22nd of loneliness and we've been through so many things. I love my man with all honesty but I know he's cheating on me...So what y'all do, ladies?" I sing and the crowd makes a little noise because this is still the Grammys– a very classy show.

"So I creep, yeah. Just creepin' on the down low. Said nobody's supposed to know. So I creep, yeah. Cuz he doesn't know what I do. And no attention goes to show. So I creep, creep, creep." Cassie and Jacque sing and dance with me.

"While you creeping, guys you know you better watch out. Some girls, some girls are only about that thing, that thing, that thing. That thing, that thing, that thing." Jacque sings Cassie's usual part.

"Baby, it's you!" Cassie sings and the music makes a dramatic pause. The audience screams.

"You're the one I love." I sing and strike a pose.

"You're the one I need." Jacque does the same.

"You're the only man I see," Cassie does her own pose. "You're the only for me. Baby, baby, it's you. You're the one who gives your all. You're the one that always calls. When I need you, you make everything stop. Finally you put my love on top!"

The music changes and everyone smiles. "I was chosen. He found me in the perfect moment...He makes me feel wanted like no one has before." Cassie sings.

"He don't want nothing from me but to know my love's for sure." I sing.

"I'd hate to be you watching Him love me. I'd hate to you watching Him touch me." Jacque sings.

"Now I am blessed to have what I need. Nothing compares. He is all I see, yeah." Cassie sings before the music slows down.

"You're broken down and tired from living life on a merry-go-round. And you can't find the fighter but I see it in you so we gon' walk it out and move mountains. We gon' walk it out and move mountains." I sing as I walk over to Cassie and Jacque. I grab Cassie's hand and Jacque wraps her arm around my waist.

"And I'll rise up. I'll rise like the day. I'll rise up. I'll rise unafraid. I'll rise up. And I'll do it a thousand times again.

"And I'll rise up. I'll rise like the waves. I'll rise up. I'll rise in spite of the ache. I'll rise up. And I'll do it a thousand times again. With you. With you. With you." We sing together and the hush that goes over the entire building is magically.