1.16 "Better Than You"

Next day.

Dad, Shane and i were sitting in a car. Rendall was in the trunk.

Suddenly Dad stopped the car and got out. Shane followed him. I stayed in the car. I know he wanted to make things clear with Shane.

Rendall was screaming in the back but his mouth was taped. I turned to him. He had earphones on and music was playing loud.

I hit him in the stomach to shut him up but He began to scream more.

I rolled my eyes. 

Then Dad and Shane opened the trunk and put a bag over Rendall's head.

They got back in the car and Dad drove again.

Dad "We gotta start using out knifes more. If there's one walker we use our knifes, we keep things quiet. We need warm clothes for the winter. Maybe we get a break. We gotta thank the cold effects. If it doesn't kill them , it gotta slow them down. The last week last year we had so much snow and ice. My cousin's got stuck on the 85 for 24 hours. Sitting in his car with a birthday cake for his girlfriend Georgia Tech. He just sat there and eat the cake and listend to the lord of the rings book tape. We would get lucky if we get the same winter as last your. By December, it's a different world. safer. Maybe we find us some snow-mobils to make some rounds. "

Shane"That sounds good"

He wasn't listening at all.

I looked out of the window. There was a walker walking through the field.

Dad parked in front of a police station..

We got out of the car and walked to the fence.

Me "good place"

Dad "We will leave the boy here. With some supplies. "

I whistled. They looked alarmed to me. I nodded to a walker on the other side of the fence.

Shane pointed with a gun at it.

Dad raised his hand "Wait. Like i said.."

He pinched his finger on his knife and put the drop of blood on the fence to grab the attention of the walker. 

The walker stumbled over to us and pressed itself against the fence. 

Dad rammed his knife through its skull "Gun's quick and easy but there are other ways to do this. One more. Your turn"

He nodded to another walker who came to us. Shane took out his shotgun and dad opened the gate. I took my knives out and we walked in. 

Dad held his gun out. Shane walked into a school bus, clearing it. 

--

Shane drove the care over to us. 

I opened the trunk and Shane and Dad took Rendall out and carried him to the middle of the parking lot. 

Then took the bag off his head and the earphones off before ripping the tape off his mouth. 

Rendall asked shocked  "what the hell is this?"

I turned around and started to walk away. 

Shane and Dad followed me.

Rendall yelled after us "i owe you, guys. I can help protect what you got! why would you safe my life and then just leave me here?! One guy...one guy can't make it alone. That's why i was with those dudes..i was alone. "

Dad stopped and threw over to Rendall.

Then we turned around.

Rendall "I went to school with Maggie for gods sake!"