1.64 "I Understand"

Negan" Me?"

He chuckled.

Negan shook his head  " I ain't doing shit. Ahh. Rick, I want you to take your ax...cut you son's left arm off, right on that line. Now, I know. I know. You're gonna have to process that for a second. That makes sense. Still, though, I'm gonna need you to do it, or all these people are gonna die. Then Carl dies, then Kendall, then the people back home die..and then you ever, eventually. I'm gonna keep you breathing for a few years, just so you can stew on it."

Me " You don't have to do this. We got it. We understand"

Negan " you understand, princess..."

I nearly puked at that nickname. Only Daryl was allowed to call me that.

Negan " but I'm not sure your father does. I'm gonna need a clean cut right there on that line. Now, I know this is a screwed-up thing to ask, but it's gonna have to be like a salami slice, nothing messy, clean, 45 degrees, give us something to fold over. We got a great doctor. The kid'll be fine. Probably. Rick...this needs to happen now..chop chop..or I will crush the little fella's skull myself".

Dad "I can...it can...it can be me. We-we can......you can do it to me. I c- I can go with- with you"

Negan " no. This is the only way. Rick, pick the ax. Not making a decision is a big decision. You really want to see all these people die? You will. You will see every ugly thing. Oh, my god. Are you gonna make me count?. Okay, Rick. You win. I am counting. 3! "

Dad cried " please. Please. It can be me. Please !"

Negan " 2!"

Dad pleaded " please, Don't do---"

Negan " this is It."

Dad " Ahhh"

Negan " 1!"

Dad picked up the ax and raised the ax.

Negan " Rick. You answer to me. You provide for me. You belong to me. Right?"

Dad nodded.

Negan " speak when you're spoken to! You answer me. You provide for me."

Dad " provide for you"

Negan " you belong to me, right!?"

Dad nodded " right "

Negan " right. That...is the look I wanted to see."

He took the ax away from dad " we did it...all of us, together...even the dead guys on the ground. Hell, they get the spirit award, for sure. Today was a productive damn day! Now, I hope, for all your sake...that you get it now...that you understand how things work. Things have changed. Whatever you had going for...this is over now. Ah. Dwight...load him up"

He pointed at Daryl.

I shook my head sobbing  " no.no.no.no.no"

I went for Daryl but Sasha held me back.

She sobbed " don't "

Daryl was fighting back but they pushed him in the trunk.

I screamed " Daryl!"

Negan " He's got guts...not a little bitch like someone I know. I like him. He's mime now. But you still want to try something? I'll cut pieces off of...of.. Hell's his name?"

Simon " Daryl"

Negan "WOW. That actually sounds right. I will cut pieces off if Daryl and put then on your doorstep, or, better yet, I will bring him to you and will you do it for me. And that in front of his Girl. "

He chuckled.

Negan " Welcome to a brand new beginning, you sorry shits! I'm gonna leave you a truck. Keep it. Use it to cart all the Crap you're gonna find me. We'll be back for our first offering in one week. Until then. Ta-ta. "

Everyone took off.

Maggie began to stand up.

Dad " Maggie. Maggie..Maggie...you need to sit down. Maggie "

He walked to her.

Maggie sobbed out " no."

Dad " we need to get you to the Hilltop."

Maggie " you need to go get ready. "

Rick asked confused " for what?"

Maggie "to fight them. "

I stood up " They have Daryl."

Dad " They have an army. We would die. All of us."

Maggie " go home. Take everybody with you. I can get there by myself."

Dad " you can barely stand. "

Maggie " I need to go. You need to get gone to Alexandria. You were out..out here for me."

Dad " we still are."

Maggie sobbed " I can make it now. I need you to go back. I can't have you out here. I can't have you all out here anymore. I need you to go back."

Michonne " Maggie... We're not letting you go. Okay?"

Maggie nodded  " you have to."

Dad shook his head " It's not gonna happen "

Sasha walked to Maggie " I'm taking her. I'm gonna get her there. I'm gonna keep her safe . I'm not giving you a choice."

Maggie " I'm taking him with me."

She was broken and kneeled to his body.

Maggie sobbed " I need to"

I put a hand on her shoulder " Let us help you"

Dad " please. Please let us. He's our family. He's our family too."

Carl put a hand on her shoulder. She stood up and hugged him.

I couldn't watch it.

I put an arm around her as the others carried their bodies away.

Then we drove off.