1.37 Building Up

A couple of Months later.

I walked outside and looked at what we've created.

It was like safe heaven. Thanks to dad and Daryl our population had grown. Dad even turned into a farmer. We have some pigs and a horse. It's great.

I felt an arm sneaking around my shoulders and held back a smile. 

Daryl " you hungry?"

I nodded " mhm"

We walked to the outside kitchen were Carol was making food.

Everyone was greeting us.
Daryl has become the favorite of some women but I wasn't bothered.

i smiled " smells good."

Daryl grabbed a bowl with some roasted deer flesh.

He ate one. I ate one too.

Carol smiled "They love you"

Daryl "You know, Rick brought in a lot of them too."

Carol shook her head " not recently. Give strangers sanctuary, keeping people fed, you're gonna have to learn to live with the love"

I nearly choked on the flesh.

Daryl rolled his eyes at me "right"

Carol " I need you two to see something."

She looked at Patrick "Patrick, can take over?"

Patrick walked to us " yes, ma'm"

I quickly wiped my hand on a towel.

Patrick " Mr. Dixon, I just wanted to thank you for bringing that deer back yesterday. It was a real treat, sir"

I smirked at Daryl.

Patrick " and I'ld honored to shake your hand"

He held his hand out.

D. looked at it and I held back laugh. Then he licked his fingers clean and shook his hand.

I grabbed Carol's shoulder and we held back and laugh.

Then we followed her. We walked to the spot from who we could see the whole field and the fences.

Carol " about today, I don't know if we are gonna be able to spare a lot of people for the run. "

Daryl " that place is good to go. We're gonna move on it."

Carol nodded " yeah. The thing is, we had a pretty big buildup overnight. Dozens more towards tower three. It's getting as bad as last month. They don't spread out anymore"

Daryl " with more of us sitting here, we're drawing more of them out. You get enough of those damn fence-clingers, they start to heard up."

Carol " pushing against the fences again. It's manageable, but unless we get ahead of it, not for long."

She looked at the bowl and then at him " sorry, Pookie"

Daryl nudged her and scoffed " pf"

He gave the bowl back and then we walked to the he cars.

They were packing the truck for the run.

Beth came out and walked to her boyfriend. I stood next to Daryl. He kissed her.

I smiled " how cute"

He looked at me and rolled his eyes.

She kissed him again and he called after her " ain't you gonna say goodbye?"