Chapter 27: Change

Hello! I'm back! 

This chapter lays the foundation for the next, so pay attention! 

Also, with the idea that I have in mind for the next chapter, you're probably going to hate me. Whoops. #sorrynotsorry

Thank you to everyone who has been leaving comments and voting for all my chapters, you guys have no idea how much that means to me! It inspires me to write even more for all of you!

Enjoy!

~Caruscus

  ------------------------------------------------------  

We arrive back at Dauntless nearly half an hour later. The others were nowhere in sight--most likely taking Abnegation to get help like I told them. Jack and I hauled Max's unconscious body onto the train (no easy feat, let me tell you) and simply threw it off once we reached the compound. He rolled a few times over the grass, but I could honestly care less about his physical state.

Jack and I then each grabbed a foot and dragged him into the main entrance, past the wide eyes of the other Dauntless members. There were whispers and nasty looks, but they weren't directed at Jack and I.

"We can take the elevator to the cells," Jack says, slightly out of breath. I look over to him with a raised eyebrow.

"We have jail cells?"

He lets out a short laugh. "You have got a lot to learn."

Jack and I once more drag Max towards where a set of elevators lay hiding in the corner of the compound. We enter and he hits a button that says 'B3' on it, causing the elevator to start moving down.

Once it comes to a stop we step out. It's a long hallway with jail cells on either side of the room. It's quiet down here, the only sound that of our breathing. With a tug we throw Max's body in the nearest cell and lock it behind him. Jack swipes a card over a panel to the side of the cell, flashing a smile at me. "I work in security."

I nod. "That explains a lot."

He steps back and looks at me, his eyes scrutinizing my every move. "I don't want you to take this in a bad way--"

"--which means I probably will--"

"--but you look like shit."

I laugh. "Yeah, I definitely took that in a bad way."

He shakes his head. "No, I just mean that you look like you've been through a lot recently." He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. "I mean, a lot of us have been through some shitty things recently. It's all going to take a while for things to get back to normal around here. I just think you need to go get some sleep."

I let out a sigh, my shoulders slumping slightly. "As appealing as that sounds, there are still a lot of things that need fixed here."

Jack places a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Hey, Lauren and Ange are working on it." His eyebrows furrow slightly. "Crystal, I don't know what it is you went through while the rest of us were out there. We can only imagine. But whatever you did, helped us. By the time all of this is settled and figured out you'll be considered a hero."

"Jack," I say quietly, stepping back and watching his hand fall, "I don't want that. I killed someone. That's not what I think a hero does. A hero tries to find a way to save everyone's life, regardless of whether they're good or bad."

"You killed someone?"

I flatten my lips into a thin line. My eyes are downcast to the floor.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm sure it was for a good reason."