Chapter 33: A Flame

^Nose crinkle is adorable.

I promise that the next chapter won't take very long to be put up. I'm already in the process of writing it, which sadly means that Crystal and Eric's journey is close to being over. :(

I will say that I had half a mind to do something awful in this chapter but then figured you would all kill me, so yeah. I hope you're happy!

~Caruscus

-------------------------------------------------------

God bless Tris Prior, honestly.

For the past two weeks I have been trying my damndest to avoid Eric and his pleading eyes every time he tries to get close or talk to me, and when I can't do it myself, Tris seems to be there at the perfect time to whisk me away. This always leaves Eric annoyed and pissed--in turn making my stomach churn guiltily--but I can't handle it. I will truly lose it if he talks to me like he did before.

Little did I know that I was about to lose my shit, just not because of Eric.

Tris and I are sitting in my office, talking and laughing about trivial things. She had just told me about one of the things Tobias had said in his sleep, and in turn I shared a story of when we were children and slept in the same bed--before mom was killed and Marcus started drinking.

One second we were having a good time and the next Christina is barging through my door in tears, collapsing on the floor. Tris and I are up in an instant, rushing over to her and helping her up onto one of my chairs while simultaneously checking for any injuries. Christina doesn't stop crying the entire time, and when we see she's not harmed, Tris and I look at each other in confusion.

"Christina, honey, what's wrong?" I ask quietly, crouching down so I'm eye level with her.

Her breaths are coming out short, and for a second I worry that she's having a panic attack. This isn't good for the baby, not one bit.

"You need to calm down, Christina. You're freaking us and the baby out. Tell us what happened." Tris orders, crouching down beside me.

Christina pulls her hands away from her face, tear streaks running down her cheeks. She sniffles, her red eyes staring me down.

"Will's been kidnapped."

My heart seems to stop in my chest again.

No, no, no--not again.

"What do you mean?" Tris asks, gripping Christina's hand tightly in her own.

"Who took him?" I question, my voice hardening. I will not let this happen again. Not to my family.

"The Factionless." She sobs, hands once again covering her face.

I stand instantly, walking over to my desk and picking up my phone. Dialling the number quickly, I only have to wait for it to ring two times before it's answered.

"Hello?" Cameron mumbles. He must have been sleeping.

"Come to my office, now. We have an emergency."

"What? What's wrong?" His voice sobers and he seems more awake now.

"Now, Cameron." I order, hanging up my phone and tossing it on my desk.

I walk back over to Christina, pulling her hands away from her face and forcing her to look at me. "How did you find this out?"

"I-I got a call ten minutes ago. Will was supposed to come home two days ago, but sometimes they stay longer than usual to wait for the next group so I wasn't worried. He always calls if he stays late. When he called me I answered and I heard screaming." She hiccoughs, eyes darting around the room aimlessly. I grab her chin and have her look at me.