Chapter 2: Old Faces

As soon as the ceremony was over, we were running. We flew down the stairs, with the Dauntless born leading the way. Us transfers struggled to keep up, but we managed.

When we reached the train tracks, I stopped and looked around. I know what was next. We are going to jump onto the train.

I turned to Beatrice, and grabbed her hand in mine. She grips my hand tightly in hers, and then we look at the train coming down the tracks. It's going slow enough for us to jump on, but fast enough that there is a chance we will miss it.

When it finally reaches us, we run. The Dauntless born reach it first and easily leap up, having years of practice. Beatrice and I are the first transfers to reach it, and I momentarily let go of her hand to jump onto the train car and pull myself up on my stomach. As soon as I'm stable, I turn and pull Beatrice up behind me, and I guess I pulled her too hard because she ends up being launched onto me. I fall on my back, and she falls on top of me. When we realize what happens, we start giggling.

"Hey, you guys need help?" A voice asks from above us. I look up, and see a tall guy with black hair that hangs in his face standing beside us. "My name is Will. Need a hand?"

Beatrice looks up and takes his hand. He easily pulls her to her feet. Then, he takes my hand and pulls me to my feet.

I brush off my skirt and cardigan. "Thanks. My name is Crystal, and this is my friend, Beatrice." I say, and shake his hand. He smiles at me, and nods.

"Well, you already know my name. I'm a transfer from Erudite, as you can probably tell." He says, gesturing to his blue clothes. "You guys are already famous here, and it's only been about five minutes!" He says, jokingly.

"What? Really?" I ask.

"Yeah, I mean, you're the first abnegation transfers for 2 years, and you're both girls. It's pretty big." A girl says, walking up to us.

She has darker skin, and is wearing a white clothing. Obviously a Candor. Her black hair goes down to her shoulders, and she seems nice enough.

"Candor?" Beatrice asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Yup. I was. I'm Dauntless now, as are you." She says. "My name is Christina."

We both shake her hand, and she smiles softly at us.

"So, are you guys-" She begins, but is cut off by one of the Dauntless born shouting.

"They're jumping off!"

I whip my head and see that people are indeed jumping off the train. Pretty soon, we are the only ones left.

"You ready?" Christina asks, looking at all of us.

"No." I answer truthfully, but grab her and Beatrice's hands anyway. Christina then grabs Will's hand, and then we are flying.

It's not until we are actually out of the train that I realize there is a gap below us, where we could possibly fall to our death. My legs start flailing, and then we land on the gravel of the roof.

We go rolling, and I release my grip on their hands. I stop rolling, and lay on my back on the roof. Slowly, I sit up, brushing the rocks off along the way. Beatrice has stood up by now as well, and she makes her way over to me.

"Well, that could've gone smoother." She mumbles, and I nod my approval.

"Alright, initiates! Gather round, I'm not going to repeat myself." A bored voice shouts. I turn my head towards the edge of the building, where a man is standing on the ledge.

Holy shit. He's good looking.

He's tall, around 6'2"-6'3". His vest shows off his muscles, and he sure has a lot of them. His blond hair is shaved on the sides, being longer on the top so it's brushed back. Two studs are above his eyebrow, and he has gauges in his ears. They're not big, but they're larger than the average piercing.