Chapter 32: A Spark

GUYS. HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU.

So, like I said before, we're finally getting to the plot line I've been planning for a long time now.

Holy. Shit.

I have been writing so much it's incredible. This was originally going to be in one giant chapter, but if I did that then this would be over 7,000 words long. That's too much for one chapter, so I'm splitting it up. I'll post the next chapter right after this one, so don't worry.

I love reading what your guesses are as to what is going on! Every time I get a notification that someone commented or voted on my story I get really happy! These two chapters are for you guys. Love you!

~Caruscus

------------------------------------------------------

It took two days for everyone to eventually calm down. "Give them some time to adjust," Hendricks had told me after the party when I asked about work, "live a little. Have fun. The world won't fall apart in a day."

I wanted to argue that statement, but decided against it. Why not humor the old man?

Tris and Christina helped me replenish my apartment. We bought enough food for five people, not one. I've accumulated a lot of points over the years. Perks of being a leader and also never having anything to really spend them on.

Today Hendricks finally relented and let me go back to work. He just wants me to get back into the normal swing of things, and not stress myself too much. I laughed. I stress in my sleep.

I walk into the leaders offices and go over to my door, staring at my name that's printed on the outside of the glass door for only a second before walking in.

My office is just like I left it: large wooden desk in the middle of the room, plush chair sitting behind it, two chairs opposite of mine and a couple of cabinets spread around. I also have a mini-fridge and a computer, but that's it. I don't need anything too fancy to get work done. Maybe with time I'll add a plant or two.

I sit down at my desk and log onto my computer. I quickly become comfortable in my chair, my fingers flying across the keys.

Username: cjeaton

Password: tobias is a tobiass

I smirk to myself as the screen lights up and my email pops up. Tobias got offended when he saw me access my account from my phone one day. Tris and I just laughed in his face.

I see I have a new email from Cameron, the man who was against me all those years ago. Once we got to know each other he quickly became a good friend and confidant. He's one of our top security leaders, and I trust him with anything.

Cameron is also assigned to our biggest problem, the one that I never explained. Over the past three years we have made many accomplishments, helped people, created a new society. There's just one problem.

Factionless.

They were one of my first goals. I wanted to get in touch with them and help them, listen to their story and their lives and how I could make it better. No one would talk, though.

And then people started disappearing.

I made it clear after the placement tests were gone that being Factionless was not a bad thing. If someone didn't want to be in a faction, then they could choose to become Factionless with no repercussions. Everyone helped to build them their own little community to get started, and hopefully they would flourish from there. It was nice. We were living in peace.