Chapter 27 | Gala

27

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

The gala is tonight.

And with my luck, my stomach has been in complete shambles from nerves. I'm meeting his family and walking into the empire his father has built. The empire Miles isn't taking.

"What about this?" Addy pulls a silver dress off the rack and I shake my head. I haven't found a dress yet, so we headed into the city, but it isn't going well.

Sighing, I set the unwanted dress back on the rack. "Are there any other places we could go to?"

"I saw another around the corner. Let's go check it out." We walk to the boutique and are happily greeted by a woman who guides us to the formal dresses.

"Anything, in particular, you are looking for?" the woman questions.

I try my best to describe what I'm looking for and the event I'm attending. The corners of her mouth lift in excitement and she gathers dresses for me to try on. Addy gets comfortable in the sitting area.

"She stole my job."

I chuckle. "You have now been upgraded to the critiquer." With a satisfied grin, she nods.

Half an hour and many dresses later, I still haven't found the one. I'm not sure if I'm being too picky, but none of them feel right on me. They're too high-school prom or mother of the bride.

"There are two left in this bunch to try on. Let me grab some more. Don't worry, we will find a dress for you."

After trying those two on and not liking either of them, she returns with one in hand.

"This one doesn't really fit the style you want, but I think you should try it. The pink champagne color will look beautiful on your tanned skin."

I stare at the fitted satin dress. It's nothing I would've chosen, but I'm eager to try it after all the failed attempts. I take the light fabric from her hands and slip into the dressing room.

"You better be the one," I whisper, quiet enough so nobody hears. Once it's on, I turn toward the mirror and my mouth falls ajar.

The dress looks like it was made for me, this is the feeling I've been waiting for. It hits me perfectly in all of my curvy places and although it's tight. It makes me feel good about myself.

"How is it? Can we see?" Addy voices. Oh right, they need to see. I push the door open and saunter out. Both of their eyes light up when I come into view, and I know we all have the same thoughts.

"That, my friend, is the dress." Addy gleams. "Miles' is going to lose his mind."

"Oh sweetie, you look beautiful." The motherly woman smiles. "Take your time getting out of it, but if that is the dress you want, I can ring you up."

I nod eagerly. The lady hurries to the register and I stare at myself once more in the mirror.

"I'm not even going tonight, but I'm so excited for you."

I'll be there soon - Miles

The nerves hit me again out of nowhere and I groan. "He's going to be here soon."

"Okay, pass the curler," Addy demands, holding her hand out as I set my phone down. Oh, did I mention that Miles finally got me a new phone? He realized it was awful for me not to have one because he couldn't call and say goodnight. You might as well consider me a brat for making him pay for it, but then again, he was the one who destroyed it.