Chapter 33 | Milesey-Poo

33

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

"I'm so sorry for your loss." A woman with blond hair hugs Miles. I can tell he's never seen her before, but he hugs her anyway while I stand here sipping my lemonade.

It's been a long day.

Yesterday evening was the viewing for Millie and Lilly, well, Mrs. Cunningham. They had them together since they were such close friends. And this afternoon was the burial, which I think was harder for Miles.

Now we're at the reception which is being held in Miles' childhood home. This place is enormous. It's not in the city, it's on the outskirts where all the extremely expensive homes are. It has a long driveway with a gate at the end. And when you drive up in front of the house, it is a jaw-dropping two-story mansion. Ivy and ferns snake up the fountain that sits in the center of the circle driveway.

Miles has been staying here for the past couple of nights. He told me I could stay with him tonight. I'm honestly worried to leave him by himself, so I'm glad he asked.

He's been awfully quiet. The only time he says anything is when he's thanking someone or when I ask him if he needs a break. The answer is normally no.

"This is the worst he's ever been," a voice says from behind, startling me. I quickly avert my gaze from Miles to Mr. Cunningham, whom the voice belongs to.

"Oh yeah," I swallow, collecting myself. "He isn't talking much."

Mr. Cunningham runs his hand through his hair, just like Miles does when he's nervous. "He isn't eating much either," he says.

"I'll try to get him to."

"Thank you, Isabella. I'm glad you're here for him." Mr. Cunningham nods, then resumes watching his son talk to guests.

I'm pleased Mr. Cunningham seems to ease up on Miles. Especially after all the stories Miles has told me. But it's hard for me to picture Mr. Cunningham the way Miles described; he seems so different now. All I see is a father attempting to make amends with his son. Which is perfect, because that is the only family Miles has now.

He disappears into the crowd, leaving me by myself. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know any of these people here. The only ones I know are Addy and Jasper, but I told them they didn't have to stay. They offered, but I said I'd be alright on my own.

I exhale and toss my cup in the trash. I need some fresh air, so I tell Miles I'm stepping outside, but he doesn't hear, so I just go on my own. Pushing the balcony doors open, the air engulfs me, and I rest my elbows on the rail.

Putting hundreds of people together in a small space who are all grieving isn't my cup of tea. Standing out here, staring into the beautiful garden below, eases my nerves.

"Are you alright?" an unfamiliar voice questions, causing me to turn and look. A guy that looks around Miles' age stares at me.

"I'm fine, thanks." I smile and turn my attention back to the perfectly landscaped yard. The next thing I know, the brunette-haired boy is beside me.

"I don't believe we have met before, I'm Finn Cunningham." He extends his hand with a welcoming smile. Cunningham? I know for a fact Miles doesn't have any siblings, so he must be a cousin.