Chapter 10: The waltz

It was the evening of the ball and I had already put on my dress. 
Kol told me he'd gather everyone and that I had to walk down the stairs slowly.

"Florence, you can come down now!" I heard him shouting from downstairs.

I walked out of the room and slowly down the stairs, just like Kol told me to, and judging from the looks on their faces, an impression it definitely had made.

"Wow, Florence, you almost look prettier than me," Rebekah said when I reached the final steps.

"Breathtaking," Elijah smiled.

"As if you were born a Mikaelson," Klaus said.

"Florence, you look beautiful," Esther, who just walked in, said.

"Thank you, Esther, you don't look bad yourself."

"Now, the guests will be arriving soon, so get ready!"

I took Kol's arm as people started entering.

People made small talk with Kol and me. I wasn't sure whether Kol actually wanted to talk to them or if he was deciding who'd be his next meal.

Kol then pulled me over to the mayor and Damon Salvatore.

He grabbed the mayor's hand and kisses it while he greets her.

"Mayor Lockwood. We haven't formally met. Kol Mikaelson. This is Florence. I hope your lovely town embraces us just as much as we plan to embrace it," He spoke with a soft smile on his face.

Damon holds out his hand for Kol to shake it.

"Damon Salvatore. Have we met?"

Kol doesn't shake Damon's hand.

"I've met a lot of people. And you don't particularly stand out. Florence here on the other hand does."

I looked away to hide a smile.

Kol then pulls me away from the Salvatore and towards the side of the room.

"You didn't have to say that you know," I told the Mikaelson.

"I know," he said, slowly bringing his mouth closer to my ear, whispering: "But I wanted to."

I smiled.

"Uh, if everyone could gather, please," We heard Elijah's voice.

Kol walked up the stairs, helping me to get up to.  These heels were awful. Normally I could easily walk in them, but these were always a problem when I had to walk up the stairs.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, fine."

"Will you be able to dance?"

"Yes, of course."

"Welcome, thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom. " Elijah said.

"Here we go," I sighed.

"You don't like dancing?" He then asked me.

"I hate dancing," I laughed.

"Well, maybe that is because you've never danced with me before."

"The pleasure is all mine," I smiled at him and I felt him grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

However, I couldn't help but overhear a conversation Damon and Elena were having.

"You have to tell me before you walk into a lion's den," Damon said.