Chapter 17: The past

I woke up next to a sleeping Kol and smiled. He seemed so peaceful. However, I knew he was anything but. He had been talking in his sleep. I couldn't make up what he was saying but caught a few words. He was worried, didn't know what to do about it. It bothered him, yet, he hadn't told me.

I tried to get up and then realised he had an arm wrapped around me. I laid back down and my smile grew even wider.

"Morning, beautiful," I heard Kol's low morning voice.

"Did I wake you up?" I asked him.

"No, you didn't."

I sighed and rested my head on his chest. Hearing his heartbeat made me relax. It was weird, being a vampire but still having a heartbeat.

People had tried to rip my heart out but had never succeeded. I had always wondered why the heart was still so important.

It wasn't just a part of the body, it was a symbol. It had always been. Both life and love were symbolised by the heart.

"What would you like for breakfast?" Kol asked me.

I was ripped out of my thoughts.

"Florence?"

"I don't know. I don't really feel like eating."

"What about a drink?" he grinned.

I quickly got out of bed and dressed.

"Well someone is excited."

"Just, be quick, I need blood."

•••

Not even five minutes later we were walking on the streets of Denver. I looked around and went into a dark alley.

"Okay, you ready?" Kol asked.

"Definitely."

Kol pushed me to the daubed wall.

"NO! HELP! SOMEBODY! PLEASE!" I screamed, trying to get someone's attention.

By the time someone came running into the alley Kol had pulled my jacket off my body.

"Leave her alone!" I heard a man's voice.

"And why should I?"

Kol turned and stepped closer to the man.

"A boy like you should know you shouldn't do something like this."

"Well, I have my needs too, mister I don't know your name."

I walked away from Kol and ran towards the man, standing behind him.

"I'm calling the police," the man spoke.

"Oh I don't think so," I said.

The man turned around and gave me a confused look.

"You see, this 'boy' is just as innocent as I am," I told him, which caused more confusion.

Kol stepped behind the man and grabbed his shoulders.

"Now, Florence, let's have a drink, shan't we?"

I looked the man in the eyes and spoke: "Don't make a sound. Stand still. Maybe I'll spare your life."

My teeth sank into the man's neck. I felt the heat of Kol's breath hitting my forehead as he bit into the other side.

When I noticed the man's heartbeat slowing down, I motioned for Kol to stop.

Tears strolled down the man's face.

"Are you seriously going to spare his life?" Kol asked me.

I looked at him and grinned.