Chapter 20: Angel of Crime

After school Kol and I rushed home, closing the door of our apartment and bursting out in laughter.

"That was amazing," he said, settling down on the couch.

I grabbed two blood bags and threw him one.

"Tonight we'll go out for some fresh blood."

"Just one question. Why did you let me win?" I asked him, sitting down next to him.

He grabbed the remote and turned on the tv before answering: "Well, he was making fun of my girlfriend."

My eyes widened. Kol. Mikaelson. Just. Called. Me. His. Girlfriend.

"Oh my god, you think it's too quick. I can take it back!" Kol quickly said.

"No! No. It's okay. I like it," I answered, making him smile.

"Well then, boyfriend. Thank you for letting me prove a point."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"You are very welcome."

"Two young children have been found dead in their father's house this morning. One of the children, a nine-year-old boy's throat was sliced as his 6-year-old sister was suffocated to death. The father of the two children was nowhere to be found. The man has been arrested several times before for abuse and the possible murder of the twenty-five-year-old Christina Hayley. He has been seen last in Denver. Police asks to-"

"It seems like we're going to have dinner a little earlier than expected," Kol grinned.

We rushed out again, trying to find the man. He murdered his children. Our plan was simple.

1. Find the man.

2. Compel him to speak the truth.

3. If he was the murderer, kill him. If not, drink some of his blood and then compel him to forget everything.

Kol had compelled us a bottle of bourbon which we were happily sharing.

I threw my hands in the airs, turned a pirouette and almost tripped, making both Kol and me burst out in laughter.

Kol wrapped an arm around my shoulders and grabbed the bottle, a few drops of the liquor splashing over the edge.

"Enough alcohol for you, young lady. We still have a criminal to catch, remember."

"Oh Kol, I thought you were the angel of crime. By the way, I'm over two-hundred years old. I think I can handle myself," I laughed, snatching the bottle away from him.

"Angel of crime, huh? I like that. Sounds hot," he grinned.

I playfully slapped him.

We laughed until someone accidentally bumped into us.

I turned around and looked at the man. Hoodie, sunglasses, trying to cover his face. Kol 'accidentally' pulled back the cap, uncovering his head.

"Is this our man?" Kol asked me.

"This is our man," I answered, recognising the man's face from the picture they showed on the news earlier.

I quickly pulled the guy into an alley, Kol following directly after.

"You're the vampires....," the man stuttered.

"The vampires?" Kol asked.

"The mates. The destined."

I looked at Kol, who had to think twice about his next words.

"How do you know about us?" Kol then asked.

The man looked as if he had seen a ghost. He was extremely scared.

"She.... The witch.... told me....," he then answered.

"What witch?" I asked him, stepping closer to him and wrapping a hand around his neck.

He knew I was going to drink his blood if he didn't answer.

"The one who sent you the drink."

I remembered the champagne. The one Kol had me taste just before the ball. The one that was like poison to the two of us.

"I am not even going to ask him what he did or didn't do," Kol stated, pushing my hand away and snapping the man's neck.

"KOL!"

"What?"

"He could've helped us!"

"With what? Finding our witch? No thank you. She'll have to find us. I don't care about her."

"But what if it's the same one that captured me?"

I told Kol when I told Rebekah. I felt the need to talk about it to someone and I hadn't seen Rebekah in a long time.

"Then I definitely don't want to see her. I'll kill her if I do."

"Kol..."

I stepped closer to him, knowing he was overprotective about the ones he 'loved'.

"Florence, I'm not letting you go. Not yet."

His words were sweet, but I couldn't help but feeling a little annoyed.

"Fine. Not yet."

"Thank you."

When we got back to the apartment I heavily sighed.

"I'm sorry, Florence," Kol said, grabbing my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it," I sighed, turning around and staring into his eyes.

They were a very pretty shade of brown. They were so warm and yet so cold.

His hand moved towards my waist, sending shivers through my body. I tensed.

Kol blinked, swallowed and immediately let go of me.

There was an awkward silence. Neither of us knew what to say. I knew he knew I wasn't going to let that witch find me. I was going to search for her. I know she is close. Just not.... how close.

"I'm going to take a shower," I said.

Just as I turned around and walked away Kol's phone went off.

"Oh, hi Jeremy. No, that's fine. Yep, see you at school. Bye."

The hot water running over my body was relaxing. I closed my eyes and drifted off into my memories.

Florence had been sitting in the coach for a while now with the two Mikaelson brothers. Elijah and Niklaus had made sure she felt comfortable around them. When the coaches finally came to a stop the two families got out.

"Well, this is the Mikaelson manor. If you want to, you're always welcome," Niklaus said.

"Oh, brother, they have nowhere to go. Can they stay with us?" Rebekah said.

"Of course they can, there's enough space. They can stay until they've found a place to live," Elijah spoke, smiling at his sister.

I was pulled back into reality when I heard shattering glass. I immediately turned the water off and got out of the shower, quickly dressing and slowly opening the door.

Kol had come into the bedroom and I noticed he was entirely tensed up. He put a finger to his lips and motioned for me to be quiet.

I nodded and did as he told me to.

"Oh, Florence! Kol! I  know you're here!" I heard a familiar voice. I just couldn't place it.

Kol stepped in front of me as the bedroom door opened, revealing a female silhouette.

I remember her.

"We need to talk," the witch said.

•••
Oh no...
Please vote and comment.
-Merijn