Chapter 14: All my children

"She's not coming!" I heard Elijah shout.

I knew the fight he was having with Kol and Niklaus was about me.

"Why not, brother? If I die, there's a chance she dies too. At least then she has a chance to defend herself!" Kol spoke.

I made my way downstairs and watched the boys fight.

"She's not a fragile doll, Elijah," Niklaus said.

"I don't care. If she gets hurt I'll never be able to forgive myself," Elijah said.

"And neither will we, just give her a chance," Niklaus said.

"Give me one good reason why I should let her come. A reason that explains to me why she will not get hurt. Convince me and I'll let her come."

"Well, she did fight in several wars," Niklaus said.

"She did what?" Kol said in utter surprise.

"It's true," Is said. "I fought in both world wars and saved my family from the French Revolution."

"How, weren't only men allowed to fight?" Kol asked.

"Yes, but I cut my hair short and dressed like a man for several years, only so I could save lives."

"That's what I call a fighter," Kol smiled.

"Elijah, I can take care of myself. If someone is to decide whether I should come or not, It's me. Thanks for your concern, but the choice is mine. I'm coming, end of discussion."

I sighed and turned around, feeling the three of them stare at me. Kol in awe, Elijah in surprise and defeat and Niklaus was just proud.

I changed into black skinny jeans with a black shirt and my bordeaux Dr.Martens. We had at least another two hours until..... it happened.

I laid the coat I was going to put on on my bed and threw a hat on top of it.

My back was facing the door, but I heard it open and close again.

"You fought in a war."

I turned around to see Kol.

"Yeah, I did," I smiled.

He came closer to me.

"That's very brave."

"Well, It's not like I could've died."

He smiled.

"And the French Revolution. Your family...."

"My parents would've ended up with their heads chopped off. So would my brother and I and eventually the twins too. At least they survived that," I told him.

"So you saved them?"

"I made sure they could get to England in time, I followed not too long after, making sure there were no tracks that would lead to us. The name that you pronounced as 'opeh' turned into the pronunciation hopes."

"So you're a hero?" He asked.

"I'm just as much of a hero as you are, Kol. I made the right decisions several times, that's it."

•••

I grabbed my coat and put on my hat while running downstairs, wrapping the piece of black fabric over my body and keeping it in place with the belt.

"You ready?" I asked the three Mikaelsons.

"As ready as we'll ever be," Elijah said.

It was a ten-minute walk. Well, we used our vampire speed most of the way, but when we came closer the Mikaelsons chose the dramatic entrance.

"They're coming, mother!" I heard Finn's voice.

"No, it's too soon, the moon is not high enough. Go! Quickly!" Esther said. I heard footsteps, probably from the Bennet witches.

The four of us walked up. I'm sure that from a distance it would've looked either intimidating or very hot, depending on your relationship with the three youngest Mikaelson brothers.

"My sons, come forward," Esther said, completely ignoring me.

"Stay beside me, mother," Finn said.

"It's okay, they can't enter," Esther said, walking onto the pentagram.

Kol and I walked towards the pentagram, Kol a little in front of me. When he comes to close the torches around it flare up bright and I quickly pull him back, looking at him worriedly.

"That's lovely. We're stuck out here, while the favourite son plays sacrificial lamb. How pathetic you are, Finn," Kol said.

"Be quiet, Kol. Your brother knows virtue you cannot even imagine," Esther said.

"Whatever you think of them, killing your own children will be an atrocity," I told the witch.

"My only regret is that I did not let them die a thousand years ago."

"Enough. All this talk is boring me. End this now mother or I'll send you back to Hell," Klaus said.

I sighed, knowing it had no use.

"For a thousand years, I've been forced to watch you. Felt the pain of every victim, suffered while you shed blood. Even you, Elijah, with your claim to nobility, you're no better. All of you. You're a curse on this Earth. Stretched out over generations. If you've come to plead for your life, I'm sorry, you've wasted your time."

There was a short pause. None of us said a word until it was broken by Esther.

"No! Sisters! Do not abandon me!"

Was the bloodline broken? Did one of the two Bennet's die?

"Mother!" Finn reacted. He grabbed Esther as the torches flared up. Kol, Niklaus, Elijah and I cower away from the flames and after a moment the torches die out. When I open my eyes again, I notice Esther and Finn are gone.

"Fuck!" I cursed.

•••

"Florence, what is to happen next is not your problem!" Niklaus said.

"But I want to help!"

"You're not helping! You're leaving, at least then you'll be safe!" Elijah said.

"I am a vampire. I'm close to the original family. I'll never be safe."

"That's why Kol is coming with you," Rebekah told me.

"Are you kidding me? This is a poor excuse. You're sending me away to protect me from original business, but to protect me you're sending an original with me?"

"So you don't want me to come with you?" Kol asked, coming up to me from behind.

"No, I didn't mean it like that. I'd love to, but-"

"It's fine Florence, I get it," the youngest brother said.

I sighed and folded my arms over my chest.

"Alright, I'll leave, but I'll be back soon. You won't last a month without me."

"You better start packing. Take all you need to survive two months," Kol said.

I nodded and went upstairs, taking as much suitcases as I could find to fit all my clothes in.

•••
A major thank you to everyone who reads this story!
It means the world to me!
Let me know if you enjoy it by voting and leaving a comment.
-Merijn