Chapter 16: Letter from Louis

That night I had a terrible nightmare. Kol had jumped on top of me and pinned my arms and legs down in order to prevent me from kicking and hitting him.

"Florence! Wake up!"

I continued to scream, not being aware of him yet.

"Flore!"

My eyes shot open. I felt my incredibly quick beating heart and for a second I was unable to breathe.

"Florence!"

I stared into his eyes and immediately calmed down.

I could see the worried looks on his face.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Just a nightmare," I sighed.

"Florence, you're not telling me that was just a nightmare. I refuse to believe that."

I sighed. It wasn't just a nightmare. It was the night that Klaus had murdered her family.

"I don't want to talk about it, Kol."

"Fine, but we will later today."

I sighed as he got off me. I got up and walked towards the bathroom. I splashed some water onto my face and got dressed.

As I opened the door, Kol blocked my way.

"Kol, I told you I-" I was unable to finish my sentence because his lips were pressed to mine. I quickly kissed him back. It wasn't a very long kiss, but it was good.

"I'll tell you later, I promise. It's just too soon," I told him. He nodded and let me pass, closing the door when I got out.

I laid down on the bed and waited for him to come out. He did take his time...

When he finally did, he asked me a very weird question.

"How would you feel about going back to school?"

•••

That evening we had moved into an apartment.

When we had finally unpacked everything, Kol pulled me into the living room.

"We need to talk," he had said.

I sat down on the couch while he sat in front of me.

"What happened?"

I sighed.

"It was the night my family died..."

"Is it still haunting you?" He asked.

"Something like that. I just... I don't think I've fully made peace with it. There are still some things that have gone unsolved."

"Like what?" He asked.

I got up and walked into the bedroom, grabbing a box that I had hidden under the bed.

Returning to him and sitting back down again, I opened the box and stared at it.

Kol moved closer to me.

"This is all I have left of them."

The box was filled with pictures, letters and a few other things like my mother's necklace and my father's watch.

I grabbed one of the letters that was on top.

"This is the letter my brother wrote to me on the night they died."

I opened it and carefully unfolded the paper.

Dear Florence,

I do not have much time left. I know he is coming for us. I know the Mikaelsons are vampires. The original ones. I overheard them talking. They talked about some kind of bond you would have with one of their brothers. I am worried. I think they're going to kill us. If it ever gets to that, I need you to know that we love you. That I have made sure no harm will come to you. If you ever need someone, ask Rebekah. She'll be there for you. She knows I know. She knows I wrote this letter to you.

Florence, you are special. You are not a Hopes by blood. When I was only five years old I remember you being brought into our family. Mother and father immediately fell in love with you. They took care of you. You were so young, yet so full of life. Little did I know who you were back then.

When you read this, it will be too late for any of us to explain. You need to find someone who can help you figure out who you are. What you are and why you are what you are.

There will be people who want what you have. You can see it as a blessing or a curse. I hope you will see it as a blessing.

The Mikaelsons will know what to do. How to help you. Who to look for. Ask them.

I love you, Florence.

- Louis

A tear streamed down my cheek as I finished reading the letter out loud.

"I never saw him again."

Kol brought my head towards his shoulder.

"A blessing or a curse. Do you have any idea what it means?" he asked.

"Not a clue."

"And you never asked any of the others."

"No. I wanted to, but every time I tried I just... I couldn't."

"I get it and I will help you if you want me to."

There was a silence.

I closed the box and put it to the side.

"I can show you. If it helps. How they were killed. What Klaus did."

He turned towards me.

"Are you sure you want me to see that? They are your memories. The ones that you don't like."

"I think it'll help us figure out what happened that night," I told him.

My voice was weak and trembling.

"Alright, but you can show me tomorrow. Today's been a long day and I think you need sleep."

He picked me up and carried me towards the bedroom, carefully laying me down on the bed.

"Good night, Flore."

•••
If you had any idea what I have in mind for the upcoming chapters...
Please vote and comment!
-Merijn