18

The leafs end up losing the game to the Islanders 5-6. "Are your parents going to be home for your birthday?" Dylan asks and I shrug. "I don't see them often. My mom said she would buy anything can happen. Who knows." I reply. "That sucks. But I get what you mean. I don't see my family often either since I'm almost always in Erie." He says. "You tired?" I nod. He follows me upstairs and brings his bag. As I am changing in to something comfortable to sleep in, my phone rings. "Hello?" I answer. "Hi honey. I have bad news." My dad says making me frown. "I know it's your birthday tomorrow and that your mother and I said we would be back in time to celebrate but we have been held back for business for two additional weeks." He says. "What?" I yell. "Look I'm sorry about the unexpected turn of events but I'm afraid we have no choice. Here your mother wants to speak with you." I let out a sigh as I put my phone on speaker so I can wash my face. "Sweety. I'm sorry. We really are but you have to understand." She says calmly. I breath deeply before responding. "It's fine. I understand. I just really wish I had some family with me." I say. "You have your friends right? Oh how did your friendly gathering go today?" "It was good. I enjoyed spending time with them since they are going to be leaving soon. And I start classes tomorrow." "Oh that's right! Oh and Happy birthday from your father and I. We mailed something special for you. It should arrive sometime this week." She replies. "Thanks. I have to go now. Love you." "Love you too. Bye!" I hang up and sigh. "Hey you alright in there Cae?" Dylan knocks on the bathroom door. I open the door and give him a small smile. "My parents won't make it back for my birthday. They've been held back for another two weeks." He hugs me. "Aw I'm sorry to hear that Cae. I'll spend your bday with you." He says making me smile. "Thanks Dyl. I have class tomorrow by the way." "What time?" "8:30" he nods his head before heading to the bathroom to brush his teeth. "I can take the couch." Dylan says returning. "Are you crazy?" I say. "No?" He questions. "Cuddle me." I stretch out my arms. He laughs and gets under the covers with me. "Night Dyl." I say. "Happy Birthday." He whispers.

In the morning
"Dyl wake up!" He groans. "What?" He asked confused. "I hear noise downstairs." I say cuddling into his chest. "Go check it out?" He says. "Why me?" I look at him. "Okay fine." I roll my eyes before heading downstairs to check out the noise. I am about to turn into the family room when someone jumps out at me. "OH MY GOD! DONT DO THAT!!!" I yell lightly punching Collin. "Happy birthday!" He says hugging me. "You're here!" I say excitedly. "Yea. I got a break off work so I decided to come visit my favourite girl. I've missed you so much. Look how different you look. You've grown into a beautiful woman." I smile. "Stop it." I say flattered before hugging him tightly again. "I've missed you and the boys too!" I smile. "Who's this?" Collin says loudly. I pull away from him and look at what he is talking about. "Oh that's my best friend. Collin meet Dylan, Dylan meet Collin." I introduce. "What are you doing here?" Collin questions, burning holes into Dylan's eyes. Collin has always been protective especially since I was sensitive and had a tough history. "Um, i uh spent the night here um after Cae and I watched the leafs game." He says nervously and I cant help but chuckle at how nervous he was. Dylan glares at me and I decide to say something to clear up the air. "I had some friends over last night for a small. Birthday gathering. And I asked Dylan to stay the night since I was lonely. And I don't know if my parents told you but they won't be back for another two weeks." I explain. "Oh. Welcome to the family then!" Collin says, his mood changing. Dylan looks confused at how fast Collin's character had changed but laughs it off. "Thanks I guess." Dylan says unsure. "No, thank you for taking care of my sister." Collin smiles. "So are you new to the school?" Collin stirs up a conversation. "Actually no. I met Cae at world juniors." Dylan says. "I remember watching that every Christmas. Wait, you're Dylan Strome?" Collin asks as he realizes who Dylan truly is. Dylan nods chuckling a bit. "Great team this year. Y'all make Canada proud. But I'm American." Collin says making me roll my eyes. "Guess we can't be friends then eh?" Dylan jokes. "Nah fam. We're good." Collin replies nudging Dylan. This is great. My brother and my best friend getting along. "Oh shit I have school." I say remembering. "Need a lift?" Dylan asks. "Sure." I say running upstairs to get ready.