Screw-Up (Hercules Mulligan x Reader)

[Modern! Au]
WARNING: cursing (some in French), mentions of sin, feels
Word count: 1452

You knew you were screwed when you woke up to screaming from downstairs. Rubbing the sleep from your eyes, you had gotten up and made yourself presentable before venturing downstairs...

...right into an argument between Hercules and Lafayette.

You stood a few steps down the stairs and stared as Hercules sent a punch flying to the Frenchman's jaw. Lafayette, who had tried to block it, stumbled and hit the wall. Catching himself, Gilbert held his jaw slightly before yelling at Hercules in rapid-fire French.

"YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT HER!" Hercules yelled, his voice hinted with a sense of heartbreak.

Taking a breath, Lafayette slumped to the floor and looked up at his upset friend. "As I said, mon ami, we were drunk. We did not know what we were doing," he said, trying to keep his voice calm as he rubbed his now bruising jaw.

"I don't care!" Mulligan's eyes were glistening with tears now. "YOU TOOK HER FROM ME! SHE LOVES Y-"

"Shh!" Lafayette hushed him by putting a hand over Hercules's mouth. In a lower voice, he said, "Do you want to wake her?"

With a low groan, Hercules pried the Frenchman's hand off of his mouth and sat beside his companion. "It doesn't matter anyway. I can't change what happened now..." He then muttered something to Lafayette you didn't catch.

Lafayette sighed. "Maybe once she wakes up, we can..." he trailed off as he gazed at the stairs, his eyes landing on you. "...merde."

You bit your lip as Hercules followed his gaze. As both pairs of eyes stared at you, you made your way downstairs and to them, standing in front of the two sitting men.

"Y-Y/N..." Hercules breathed, his cheeks turning a dark shade of red.

You glanced at Lafayette, who seemed to be somewhat relieved by your presence. "Wh-What's going on here...?"

Hercules and Lafayette exchanged a glance. Turning his head back to you, Lafayette replied, "It was an argument between friends. Do not worry about it, mon amo- mon ami."

"No." You knew that it wasn't the whole truth. "What really happened here? What were you fighting over?" You had already gathered that the argument was about what had happened last night, but you wanted confirmation. "Please, I want to be able to do something so it can be resolved."

"It's not something you should worry yourself with," Hercules said with an uncharacteristic coldness. "Besides, you'd probably make things worse."

You flinched, and Hercules felt a twinge of guilt.

"Y/N..." Lafayette started to reach to cup your cheek, but he stopped himself, knowing that Hercules would try to strangle him again. With a sigh, he asked Hercules, "May I tell her? I do not think it is okay to hide this from her, especially since we do not know how much she saw."

Hercules's eye twitched. He huffed and crossed his arms over his chest, looking away. "Go ahead, Laf," he grumbled. "Go ahead and make her feel guilty."

Lafayette reluctantly told you about the whole event. It indeed had been about you, and Hercules had been jealous and thought that you hadn't been that drunk. Gilbert told you that he didn't love you like that, only as a friend, and that things had escalated only because of the alcohol.

By the time your best friend had finished, you were almost in tears. Hercules, being one of your very good friends, knew you well. He was right- you did feel guilty. It's my fault...they're having a dispute over me. God, I didn't want this. "H-Hercules...?" you whispered.