Restless (John Laurens x Reader)

[Modern! AU]
WARNING: sad crap, Lams, slight sin, triggering content, cliché crap
Word Count: 807

   You woke up to the sound of something breaking. Rubbing your eyes drearily, you dragged yourself out if bed, assuming it was John making the noise. He always did make food when he couldn't sleep. You signed, making your way to the kitchen.

   What you saw when you arrived there horrified you.

   You had been right- it was John, but he was with Alexander. There was a broken plate on the floor nearby, but it seemed like the two didn't pay any attention to it. They were making out heatedly, Alexander's shirt already off and he was helping John with his. Both men's ponytails were gone.

   You stared, your jaw dropped to the ground in shock. You had known that John had liked Alexander at one point, but it never went far, especially after Alexander had started dating Eliza.

   You felt your heart drop to your feet. Why now? Why would he do this? He said he was over Alexander... You inhaled sharply, pushing back at the tears that threatened to spill from your eyes. You ran back to the bedroom, shutting the door behind yourself.

   You slid to the floor, your back pressed against the door as you buried your face in your knees and sobbed quietly.

   Why had he lied? Is he just using me? Does he not love me?

   He hates me, doesn't he? That's the only explanation. He wanted to make Alexander jealous. He wanted to use me as a toy, something to pass the time without his beloved Hamilton by his side. That explains why he's been out more often...

   "Y/N?" a familiar voice came from somewhere far away.

   You thought you were just so upset you were hearing things, but the voice persisted.

   "Y/N? Y/N, can you hear me?! Wake up, Y/N!"

   You gasped as you shot up, hot tears streaming down your cheeks. You felt a pair of eyes gazing at you in concern from the darkness.

   You checked the clock on the wall. One forty-seven AM (1:47 AM). Letting out a quiet hiccup, you looked at the bedsheets and rubbed your arm.

   "Y/N, what happened? Are you okay?" the voice of your boyfriend, John, came from behind you. You felt his warm arms wrap around you, his bare chest pressing against your back gently.

   You shook your head, continuing to cry, despite it having just been a nightmare. "J-John, y-you don't like A-Alexander, r-right?"

   You felt John tense up, probably because he wasn't expecting that question. Or maybe it's because you're on to him. "No, no, of course not! That was a long time ago. I love you, Y/N. Isn't two (2) years enough to prove that?" He rested his chin on your shoulder, looking up at you.

   You let out a quiet sob, feeling horrible for asking such a stupid question. Of course he loved you. It was just a stupid nightmare.

   "Hey, hey, Y/N," John said quietly, turning you around so you were sitting in his lap, facing him. He gently placed a hand on your cheek, and he could see your gorgeous face because of the moonlight filtering in through the window. "Don't ever doubt my love for you. Trust me, I'm way over Alexander." He paused. "You had a nightmare, didn't you?"

  Nodding your head slightly, you wiped at your eyes furiously, embarrassed from crying. Your face felt as if it were on fire. "I-I'm sorry, John, I ju-"

   John placed his index finger on your lips to silence you. He gave you a gentle smile and said, "Don't worry about it, Y/N. I get it." Removing his finger, he continued, "I would be quick to assume also. You were just scared from the initial shock of whatever happened. I won't ask you what happened because that may be some personal stuff you're not ready to share with me yet, and I'm okay with that. I'm here for you, Y/N."

   A few final tears rolled down your cheeks as he spoke. A small smile made its way onto your lips. "God, I love you," you breathed, taking one of his freed curly strands of hair and wrapping it around your finger. The piece of hair freed itself with a satisfying boing! motion.

   "I love you, too, Y/N," John replied, grinning. "Now c'mon, lets go back to sleep."

   You both laid down, and John hugged you close to his warm frame. His arms wrapped around your waist, and your arms were curled up against your chest. You leaned into his chest, listening to his breathing as it got slower, signaling sleep. The faint sound of his heartbeat was comforting, and you smiled to yourself, feeling lucky to have found such a sweet guy. After a while of enjoying the peaceful silence, you drifted off into sleep with a happy, sleepy smile on your face.