Rain (Hercules Mulligan x Reader)

[Modern! AU]
WARNING: cringe, cliché crap, vv mild cursing
Word Count: 723

Rain. Ah, rain, such a wondrous thing.

You absolutely loved the rain. It was always so calming, the soft pitter-patter sound of the drops beating against the roof. It was beautiful, and the occasional rainbow afterwards was something you'd burned into your memory. The dreary days of staying indoors were something you actually looked forward to, since you weren't exactly the most outgoing person. It made a good aesthetic, too, and the soothing sound was like music to your ears. So naturally, when you were walking home from work and a downpour decided to dump on C/N (city name), you were ecstatic. Sure, home was about twenty (20) minutes away, but it was so worth it.

You had an umbrella, but you kept it at your side, swinging it along as you walked. You hummed to yourself as music blasted through your earbuds. You made your way down the sidewalk, making sure to step in some puddles along the way.

You twirled a bit, giggling to yourself. Nobody was on the sidewalks or in the roads, so it felt as if you had the whole world to yourself...

   ...or so you thought. Suddenly, a pair of strong arms wrapped around your waist and picked you up, spinning you around in the air. You squealed, trying to identify your attacker.

   A hearty laugh sounded from the person holding you as they set you on the ground. "Geez, Y/N, I didn't know you were so scared of me," the deep voice of your best friend, Hercules Mulligan, said in your ear.

   You rolled your eyes. "You scared the crap out of me, Herc. I have every reason to be scared. I thought I was alone!"

   "Well, you should double check next time." he replied, letting go.

   You turned around to face your best friend and grinned at him. "Well maybe next time you should give me a heads up!"

"Aw, what's the fun in that?"

   You giggled. "Whatever." Looking up to the sky, you let out a quiet sigh of content. Then, after a moment, you looked back at Hercules, who was just gazing at you with a mixture of amusement and adoration. Taking the free earbud into your hand, you held it out to him and said, "Wanna listen?"

   Hercules nodded and took the earbud from you, popping it into his ear. He bobbed his head slightly to the beat.

   You smiled as another one of your favorite songs came on. This one was about love, and it had made you cry the first time you had listened to it.

   Hercules held out a hand to you, a silly smile on his complexion. You giggled and took his hand. He pulled you to a wider space in the sidewalk and, adjusting to the music, you two slowly danced in a small circle.

   A small blush made its way onto your cheeks as he dipped you playfully. Hercules pulled you back up, grinning at you with a gleam in his eye.

   As the song neared its end, you were gazing up into his eyes, you hands resting gently on his chest. He gazed right back at you, his eyes full of an emotion you couldn't quite name.

   Next thing you knew, your lips were on his.

   It was a gentle kiss, and Hercules kissed you like you were the most valuable thing in the world. However, it was full of emotion and passion, things that had been caged up in the back of your minds. It seemed as if all of those feelings had been saved for this one small, perfect moment. He tasted of chocolate and marshmallows.

   You were the first to pull away from the long kiss, slightly gasping for air. "Damn, Herc..."

   Hercules stared at you for a moment. Then he laughed. "Damn indeed, Y/N."

You blushed and smiled at him. Looking up at the still pouring sky, you said, "It looks like this rain isn't gonna let up anytime soon. You can stay at my place if you want."

"That would be fantastic, Y/N. Thank you." came Hercules' reply. Wrapping an arm around your shoulders, he said jokingly, "Shall we depart, m'lady?"

Giggling, you responded, "We shall." And with that, the pair of you made your way down the sidewalk, enjoying the rain and each other.