Reunion (Marquis de Lafayette x Reader)

~Note: Lafayette goes by they/them pronouns in this.
WARNING: feels, mentions of death
Word Count: 761

   Sunlight filtered into the living room through the wide windows. You looked outside for what was probably the hundredth time that hour.

   See, today was the day the soldiers were coming home for a week or two to see their families. It was about one o'clock now, and probably half of the soldiers were flooding the streets, making their way to their homes.

   You sighed and sat down on the leather couch. Are they coming?

   Lafayette, your fiancé, had left right before you two were supposed to get married. They hadn't sent you any letters, and they hadn't even told you where General George Washington was moving the troops.

   It had been five months since you had last heard from Lafayette, and you were starting to get anxious.

   What if they got hurt? What if they got captured? What if they're dead?

   You shook your head. No, Y/N, you can't think like that. Stay positive! You got up to check outside again.

   You saw Alexander run to Eliza, who was now visibly pregnant, and you smiled to yourself as Hercules ran down the sidewalk screaming, "REVOLUTION!" Alas, John and Lafayette were nowhere to be found.

   Deciding it was easier, you stood at the window and watched as the American troops met with their families or as some unlucky soldiers informed people of their relative's death.

   An hour passed. Then two. Then five. It was now about six o'clock, and it was getting dark out.

   Only a few soldiers remained in the street, and there was still no sign of Lafayette. Eliza had come over a little over an hour ago to see if Laf had shown up yet.

   You hadn't had a thing to eat, but your hunger was overpowered by your growing worry. Nobody has come to tell me that they're gone, but they only did that for the people in the street, right? You sighed and sat on the couch in defeat.

   Maybe...maybe they're not coming home...

   You buried your face in your hands and started to cry softly. At some point, you fell asleep.

   Some time later, you heard a click from the door, and a voice call, "Mon amour? Are you awake?"

   Wide awake now, you shot up and literally tackled the Frenchman. "LAF!"

   Lafayette stumbled a bit but steadied you and themselves. "Y/N! It's late, what are you doing up?"

   "You woke me up, but that's not important. WHERE WERE YOU?!" you sobbed into their coat.

   Lafayette held you upright and hugged you close. "Mon cher...I got caught up with the General. He wanted to see me, and we talked for quite a while. Then, on my way home, my horse was injured badly. I ended up walking home."

   You squeezed Lafayette. "You scared me! I thought that you- ...y-you were..." You hiccuped and sobbed again.

   "Hey, hey. Shh..." Laf let go of you and lowered themselves to your height. "Mon chéri, look at me."

   You sniffed and blinked some tears back as you looked into their warm brown eyes.

   Lafayette cupped your cheeks, and they wiped away some tears with their thumbs. "Y/N, I'm so sorry. Please don't cry...shh..."

   A small hiccup escaped from your lips. You sniffled quietly and looked down, tears still rolling steadily down your cheeks.

Lafayette gazed at you in deep concern. "Perhaps you are just tired, mon amour. It is very late... You need sleep. How late did you stay up waiting for me?"

You shrugged wearily. "Wh-What time is it?"

"One in the morning." The Frenchman sighed. "C'mon, perhaps you will feel better after sleeping." Lafayette gently lifted you into their arms and carried you upstairs to the bedroom. They laid you on the bed and pulled the covers up above your shaking shoulders.

After taking off their coat and shoes, Lafayette looked at you from the edge of the bed, just admiring every little aspect about you. They slipped under the covers with you and hugged you close to his chest.

For the first time in what felt like forever, you inhaled their intoxicating scent- cinnamon and a hint of coffee. Snuggling closer to them for warmth and comfort, you dozed off, feeling safe for the first time in months.

   Lafayette smiled as they heard your breathing become a bit slower, signifying sleep. They messed with your hair gently, running their fingers through it. They noticed how thin and pale you had gotten. Has Y/N been eating? Shaking off their thought, they too drifted off into a restful sleep.

I'm thinking maybe a part two? Comment if I should make part two! ----->